A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sure is looking good Red… Wow is that going to be a beast of a cooker! Wish I had your building talent!

Jim, I do believe you’re going to have a ton of fun cooking on that monster! You’ll have room to cook anything!
Heck I’ll be able to cook a side of beef and a whole pig in it!

Jim

Reactions: seenred
Thats great! New to forum excited
starting to upgrade my old smoker myself
Found a used 6 ft warming oven stainless
exciting lol

Hello DeerMaker! First off, welcome aboard! And thanks for the kind words!

Good luck with your smoker upgrade - I hope you'll post a thread about the project here in the build forum.

Red

Not meaning to be an enabler, but now you need to get a good cow bell so you can not only play along with the song. You can also call your family when din-din is ready.

Chris

I wondered how long that would take.... :emoji_sunglasses:

it-needs-more-5be1c0.jpg

Red

18 degrees with no wind is cold for us at the start of winter... same weather half way through winter and it feels about like t shirt weather lol.

Loving your build so far! And my smoker you built is at a balmy 50 degrees in the garage!

Ryan

Like I told you, Ryan, I don't think I'm tough enough to live that far north! I'm a fair weather guy for sure! I walked out to the shop a few minutes ago, to get a hammer and a screwdriver for a little honey-do chore - the temperature has managed to climb to 26*, but the wind must be blowing 20-25 mph out of the NW. Cuts right through me! Needless to say...I hustled right back to the house!

I can't tell you how happy I am that you're happy with it! I was proud of how it turned out, and makes me smile that a forum buddy is cookin' on it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

:emoji_laughing:

I know this is a movie reference - but I haven't seen the movie. Is Mclov'in the nerd dancing in the pic? He cracks me up!

Don't know if the pit's Superbad yet, but I'm workin' on it! :emoji_sunglasses:

Red
Thats him, the movie is funny as heck.

That pit is for sure going to be Superbad!!!
You have some serious skills, keep posting updates, please.

Thanks a bunch.
Dan.

LOL! I can see a cowbell hanging off the side of the cook chamber! And the more I think about Mississippi Queen is sounding just right for this thing!

Jim
Music shops that sell percussion equipment will have cowbells to duplicate the sound.
I appreciate the Mississippi Queen tag but how about a morph to Mississippi King?

Awesome build. Can’t wait to see it finished with some cooking pics. Makes me want to get mine done.

Thanks Irvin! The build has been on a temporary break, since we've been in a deep freezer here for going on 2 weeks. Had an ice storm last night. But that's suppose to be the last of the really cold weather - the temps are supposed to be back into the upper 40s most of the week...and I'm eager to get back at this project!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks Irvin! The build has been on a temporary break, since we've been in a deep freezer here for going on 2 weeks. Had an ice storm last night. But that's suppose to be the last of the really cold weather - the temps are supposed to be back into the upper 40s most of the week...and I'm eager to get back at this project!

Red
Yeah I will be dealing with weather also. No heat in my shed so when it’s like that I will be on hold also.

Yeah I will be dealing with weather also. No heat in my shed so when it’s like that I will be on hold also.

Yep - no heat in my uninsulated metal shop either. Being an old retired guy, I'm just too old and soft to suffer the cold out there. I freely admit - I'm a fair weather fabricator LOL!

Red

Afternoon Friends!

Well since that nasty winter storm cleared out, our weather has been much milder, and I've been able to make some decent progress on Jim's pit over the last several days!

I've been concentrating on the firebox. In my last update, I had the cool-touch handle all fabricated and ready to weld on...which I haven't done yet, but soon.

Next, I finished out the FB intake dampers. Got a sliding cover with a heat resistant handle - there's one on each side of the FB.

img31.jpg

img32.jpg

img33.jpg

img34.jpg

img35.jpg

Next, I mocked up the runners for the side-out FB log rack.

img38.jpg

Built the frame for the log rack, and test fit to make sure it won't bind up.

img36.jpg

img37.jpg

Fits good! So I got the runners welded in.

img40.jpg

Then I got the log rack all fabricated.

img39.jpg

img41.jpg

It fits just real good! Slides out without binding.

img42.jpg

img43.jpg

Jim indicated that he'd like to have one of those fire management V-baskets for the FB. That's the last thing I worked on today.

Started out by designing it using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design LOL).

img44.jpg

I've got it laid out on a piece of 1/4" plate, and ready to plasma cut...which I hope to get done tomorrow.

img45.jpg

And while I'm plasma cutting, I hope to go ahead and get the door cut out on the main cook chamber as well.

So that's where we are as of today! A lot of these small components are slow going to fabricate -partly due to my limited skill LOL - but also because they're not production pieces, but are all "one-off" parts that I have to design and fabricate by hand. Plus I like to take my time and get every component right the first time, so I don't have to take more time to do it over!

Thanks for following along, and stay tuned!

Red

YES SIR... looking good so far

Can I make a suggestion ? Before cuting the 1/4" plate to make a frame (I'm thinking board managment here, waste)... Consider using the 1" angle for the frame of the V basket ... This gives ya something to weld the expanded metal to...

Love the CAD! And its coming together well. Love the attention to detail your putting into it. Man my great grandkids will be cooking on this thing!

Jim

An amazing follow!!!! seenred, you are indeed a man of many talents. JLeanard you are the envy of us all. Here's my contribution to the name game. Red Rocket, The Red Shed, Dean Martin, Grateful Red

I appreciate it HQ!

I get the name suggestions that have a “Red” reference…but Dean Martin?? :emoji_laughing:

Red

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky