$$$$

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waysideranch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2008
Kansas
Does anyone here have any investment tips. Any info to help pick a stock thats on the rise? Thanks for any info!

I don't know anything about the stock market. I purchased some GM just in case they pull out of this mess, but other than that, I'm clueless. I've always heard that buying property is the way to go.

Invest in the Coors company Scott... summer is almost here.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks Jeanie but i would drink any profit there. Bassman, i have a friend who is a mechanic and he owns 8800 acres. He has bought land versus putting it in an IRA or 401K. Land here now goes for $900-1200 per acre and is always going up. We are talking Kansas here. He makes $18/hr. One smart guy if u ask me. Do the math and hell he's a genius. there is a farm up here for sale. 160 acres, great house out buildings and pens for livestock and its only $250000. PM me if anyone is interested. Pheasant and deer hunting like no other.

Anything energy related is a good bet. I'd pick 5 stocks and follow them for a month, chart out their progress, then buy the best performer. Same with the next 30 days, pick 5 others, etc. etc.

You might say we're in a late bear market, early bull market.

Some might say the recent 35% recovery over the past couple months(that's right, the US market is up 35% since St. Patrick's Day) puts us in a middle bull market and not an early bull market.

Late bear, early bull usually means financials and transportation sectors do well (they have). Mid bull usually means technology and capital goods do well.

Here's my tip, don't take advice from people on the internet. Seek out a qualified licensed financial adviser, better yet seek out several, sit down and talk to them about your goals, and then decide which one makes you feel most comfortable. Then take all your money, buy gold, bury it and pray for the best.

I'll just tell you where I'm putting my money right now:

Oil pipeline limited partnerships.

Some I like are MMP, ETP, ETE, KMP. All of them have been recommended by people with good track records.

They're all pay 8-9 percent dividends and while no investments are 100 percent safe, they're way safer than most, I think.

Right now several firearms companys have really been showing profits. Might want to watch a few and see how they do over a short spell. Then jump in for a short time until you start getting nervous. Pay close attention to NYS and CA firearms proposals as they seem to set the trend on the laws in the long run that can bring down the firearms companys earnings.
Just a thought. :-)

I dream of the powerball but i don't play. Thanks everyone for your imput. I like the firearms and oil things. Apprecitate it.

I'd look for VALUE.
Low P/E (price to earnings ratio)
Low Price to Book Value
Not much Debt
Increasing Earnings trends or Increasing Dividends (not too realistic in todays economy)
Management team that has been in place for several years
(Check if there has been insider buying or selling reported - this has a lag time but is a good indicator anyway - If they dont' want it you don't )
A solid staple product with new product inflow or such if possible depending on the industry
LOTS of other things

I'd think, depending on time frame you're best off investing in a mutual fund to spread it out and get diversification.
However, If you want a specific stock not a fund then research VALUE funds in todays market. Go to Morningstar at the library and find what looks to you like a good value fund that's currently, mid term and long term rated a good fund. Find a good one. Spend some time looking at the most recent portfolio of that fund. Track it back over a few quarters and see if any stock positions have INCREASED recently and then check out those stocks via the library on Value Line and go from there.

Nothin is a sure thing except me lovin the VIKINGS, beer, food and wimmen.

Oh, and if you want one specific stock.
Check out Berkshire Hathaway. It's a super buy right now, in my opinion, and over time it should be a good gamble, however one share is quite expensive.

Add ammo and reloading components companies to that list. Just keep an ear to the ground , the current rush to stockpile will wane eventually ( like everything else , ebb and flow )
Have fun
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky