New mes 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fuzzyfishin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Randall wi
I recently purchased a new Mes40. I already have a gen2.
This one I want to add the auber 1520h.
After going through many of the posts regarding adding a pid. I don’t seem to find anything similar to this smoker. My other mes has a pid. (Thanks to all who have contributed info ) when I installed it a few years ago.

The new mes model mb20072918 I haven’t been able to find info on this mes to add this pid. Here are a few picks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• IMG_4738.jpeg
    IMG_4738.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4736.jpeg
    IMG_4736.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 33
That picture is of the back element access . You need to be in the bottom if you want to bypass the stock controls , but keep the limit switch in the loop .
Should be a blank access with rivets . Drill those out and remove the cover so you can see what wiring config you have .
Or ,
You can bypass it all and wire a cord directly to the element .

Reactions: JLeonard
I recently purchased a new Mes40. I already have a gen2.
This one I want to add the auber 1520h.
After going through many of the posts regarding adding a pid. I don’t seem to find anything similar to this smoker. My other mes has a pid. (Thanks to all who have contributed info ) when I installed it a few years ago.

The new mes model mb20072918 I haven’t been able to find info on this mes to add this pid. Here are a few picks.
Thanks Dan

chopsaw chopsaw has you covered. To rewire you will need to access the panel on the bottom side of the smoker which may have you drilling out some rivets to open it. You can refasten that panel with self tapping sheet metal screws (I use the hex head ones).

When you open it you will see something very similar to this BUT you likely will have 2 braided wires (might be two other colors instead of two black braided wires, might be 2 black but they will be braided insulation).
You will definitely have a black smooth and a white smooth wire.

The rewire is simply cut the ends off the braided and the smooth wires.
Then wire nut/connect any braided end to the black smooth end. Then the other braided wire end to the white smooth end. Rewire done!

At that point if you plug your smoker into the wall the heating element should heat up... without any control. This means the rewire is working. Just be sure to unplug it once you confirm it is working because it will not stop heating up if left plug in and will heat until it burns down... it has no controller to stop it hahahaha :D
This is where the PID comes in.

At this point you are good to go with your PID. I hope this info helps :D

full?d=1507263359.png

Reactions: chopsaw
Sorry for taking time to respond.

After being redirected to the proper wires.
It took me a bit to discover which wires to cut. My layout seemed to be different than all the diagrams I looked at and read.
After connecting the wire I plugged the smoker and stated to heat up. Let it heat for a bit to make sure the element turned red.
IMG_4777.jpeg
(Thank you tallbm) hooked up the 1520h pid. Set up a couple of steps. Ran through them. All ok.
I have set the parameters according to what chopper has posted. Thank you.

Running another test. Step one to 125o for an hr. Only fluctuated 3o. Took about 10min to heat to 125 Next step to 275o. Which took about 18 min. Temp went to 276 down to 274. Then has held within 1o of the 275o setting. I am using 4 probes. All are within 2o.

Seems all is well. Thanks to all.
Planning on first smoke for new years which will be a brisket. If any problems I have ribeyes for the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_4744.jpeg
    IMG_4744.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4741.jpeg
    IMG_4741.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 32
Nice . Sounds like you have it figured out .
Just my opinion , I would watch running it at 275 . Most I go with mine is 260 . Just takes out any chance that the stock limit will trip .
Holding steady at 260 will be way better than the up and down swings of the stock set up . Cook times will be shorter I bet .
Enjoy , and Merry Christmas .

Sorry for taking time to respond.

After being redirected to the proper wires.
It took me a bit to discover which wires to cut. My layout seemed to be different than all the diagrams I looked at and read.
After connecting the wire I plugged the smoker and stated to heat up. Let it heat for a bit to make sure the element turned red. View attachment 684313(Thank you tallbm) hooked up the 1520h pid. Set up a couple of steps. Ran through them. All ok.
I have set the parameters according to what chopper has posted. Thank you.

Running another test. Step one to 125o for an hr. Only fluctuated 3o. Took about 10min to heat to 125 Next step to 275o. Which took about 18 min. Temp went to 276 down to 274. Then has held within 1o of the 275o setting. I am using 4 probes. All are within 2o.

Seems all is well. Thanks to all.
Planning on first smoke for new years which will be a brisket. If any problems I have ribeyes for the grill.
Congrats, glad to see you up and running well! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky