3-2-R Method, Ribs Recipe with Q-View.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah you're right Worm; The coffee flavor is actually more or less indistinguishable as coffee. There is just something extra in there that you cant quite pull out. The only time I've been able to actually distinguish coffee flavor is when I rubbed some ribs down the night before. They soaked some of the flavor into the meat. To me it gives more of a sort of bitter caramel flavor than anything.

Last edited:
For you info, i just competed in my first ever competition of any level, this was a pro level comp, and i got a 4th place call for these ribs! Based on my scores i would have taken first if my presentation was better, but unfortunately i had some crooked bones and chunky meat. I was all 9s in taste and tenderness, had mostly 8s in presentation.  (I also landed 3rd place in ribs)

Trying this recipe today on two racks of babyback. A couple small modifications mainly with rub and one rack I'm going to sauce with smoking hoggz recipe to see the difference in look.

Competition I'm entering has a dry rib and wet rib turn in. Next round I'll need to add some of the coffee. I've done espresso grounds on a brisket before and it was good.

The wrap in foil will be identical and resting ribs will take place. I'll place the one rack back on smoker with BBQ sauce to set after sitting in foil off the grill. The foiling and sitting seems like it makes a ton of sense. Just like you foil pulled pork.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After running these ribs at a few more competitions (4 total comps) they are still getting solid taste and texture scores, but learning that the judges (if you care about competing) are really looking for the bright red glossy look on ribs, so I haven't been able to break the 4th-5th place spot no matter how perfect they do on taste and texture. So if you are looking to compete with something like this, you may look at the following tips. Note that I plan to do them just like described above still when I do them at home.

Here are some competition tips I plan to employ in future competition including one I have this weekend:

-Use a rub/base with a stronger red hue to it to offset the coffee grounds as much as possible.

-Use just enough of the coffee to let the flavor come out, but not enough to substantially affect the color of the ribs (In my original recipe, coffee is the 2nd, by volume, ingredient)

-when grinding the coffee choose the finest grind setting they have

-when boxing the ribs give them a light misting of some fruit juice to bring out the gloss and shine look

For some reason, the judges don't respond as well to that "bark" look which the coffee gives the ribs. Of course, this method works great still without coffee at all, so feel free to just employ the method without the recipe! The method will still give you the perfect more easily controlled ribs. Despite the pressure to sauce my ribs in competition, I still cannot bring myself to do it. The drippings for me is all you need!  

Last edited:
Great post. Will look at using yours and Al's method in the future. Ribs are the top of my list to master this year. Thanks for sharing. 

After running these ribs at a few more competitions (4 total comps) they are still getting solid taste and texture scores, but learning that the judges (if you care about competing) are really looking for the bright red glossy look on ribs, so I haven't been able to break the 4th-5th place spot no matter how perfect they do on taste and texture. So if you are looking to compete with something like this, you may look at the following tips. Note that I plan to do them just like described above still when I do them at home.

Here are some competition tips I plan to employ in future competition including one I have this weekend:

-Use a rub/base with a stronger red hue to it to offset the coffee grounds as much as possible.

-Use just enough of the coffee to let the flavor come out, but not enough to substantially affect the color of the ribs (In my original recipe, coffee is the 2nd, by volume, ingredient)

-when grinding the coffee choose the finest grind setting they have

-when boxing the ribs give them a light misting of some fruit juice to bring out the gloss and shine look

For some reason, the judges don't respond as well to that "bark" look which the coffee gives the ribs. Of course, this method works great still without coffee at all, so feel free to just employ the method without the recipe! The method will still give you the perfect more easily controlled ribs. Despite the pressure to sauce my ribs in competition, I still cannot bring myself to do it. The drippings for me is all you need!  
I think the ribs looking "pretty" is parallel to a great taste. Especially since it is the first thing judges see. You seem to be on the right track and having success.

Paprika and ancho chile powder/chile powder work well for red. I've also read that Cherry wood will help develop a red color. 

Sounds like you are using less coffee this weekend. Ever going to try a competition without it to see if that is the factor to change?

Keep posting about the competitions. I've been enjoying the success and learning. Would love to see some pictures of your cooks to see what you are turning in for boxes. I've got a baby back competition 6/24. I'm cooking ribs 3 times this weekend to dial in a few final things.

Thanks.

Last edited:

I think the ribs looking "pretty" is parallel to a great taste. Especially since it is the first thing judges see. You seem to be on the right track and having success.

Paprika and ancho chile powder/chile powder work well for red. I've also read that Cherry wood will help develop a red color. 

Sounds like you are using less coffee this weekend. Ever going to try a competition without it to see if that is the factor to change?

Keep posting about the competitions. I've been enjoying the success and learning. Would love to see some pictures of your cooks to see what you are turning in for boxes. I've got a baby back competition 6/24. I'm cooking ribs 3 times this weekend to dial in a few final things.

Thanks.
I haven't actually tried it without Coffee, just one of those things im not wanting to compromise. Seems like competition BBQ is all about doing what everyone else is doing to try and get good scores, but there is just a huge lack of creativity and originality. Goes against my nature as a very creative person, especially as it comes to my cooking.

I have been back and forth about doing it that way this coming weekend, but pretty sure I wont bring myself to do it. I've already thrown my whole chicken rub recipe out the window and gone to a slightly modified "Yardbird" rub, just to address some of the flavor profile feedback ive gotten recently, and abandoning my full rub on the ribs alone has been bad enough.

Basically in the past my rib rub only had a bit of paprika, and lots of salt, pepper, brown sugar and of course coffee. Basically this weekend im gonna switch the quantities up, and also add some Ancho which I didn't previously have so that there is only like a small amount of coffee, just to add a touch of uniqueness.

I just still want to be able to enjoy the competitions and not get so wrapped up in them and making it all about winning, so a big part of that is still doing some of what I want despite some criticism from judges.

So far ive done pretty well for myself and taken top spots in Brisket, while my pork and ribs still hoover around and less than 4th place. Most comps having 13-25 competitors where im at. The competition this weekend is an American royal and Jack Daniels pre-qualifier, so there should be some really tough competition.

here is another pic from this last weekends competition, only managed to snap my chicken and ribs:

Admittedly, I could be a better "boxer" and also have had issues with getting not that amazing looking ribs, and had some crooked bones even when I go hand pick at a butcher chop. In fact the best ribs ive done so far, at least as far as presentation have been plain old Smithfield cryovaced ribs from the grocery store.

Best thing you said......not get so wrapped up in the competition and have fun. I need to relax and keep that in mind. Haha.

I had a feeling that was the idea on not getting rid of the coffee. It also might be what is getting you good scores for taste.

Good luck this weekend. Pictures look good.

Here are my turn in Boxes from this weekend's competition. This was a Jack Daniels world championship and American Royal qualifier, so the competition was STEEP! I still managed to place in the mid lower ranks, with is good enough for me as a newbie in the comp world. I actually got some excellent scores, better even than the comps I've taken 3rd place spots, so I'm happy with the judge scores, but we had several teams who got perfect scores in a category or two, so there were just some top notch competitors.

Congratulations. Competing against the best and holding your own isn't easy. Have to say....all boxes look very good!!!

Working on some baby backs right now testing a few different variables for taste. Very close to the way you are cooking them. Definitely like the Texas pepper jelly or rib candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky