or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Time Smoking Ribs Without Foil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Time Smoking Ribs Without Foil - Page 2

post #21 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1 View Post
 

Disco:   well played, and very nicely done.  The ribs look great.  I have always been a dry rub, no foil, no sauce kind of guy.  But I have been thinking about trying the foil method soon just for the experimental experience.  I agree that there are way too many methods out there, but it's great to keep trying something new.  

 

Thanks. I will definitely keep trying new things. It's the only way you get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWOOD CARLOS View Post
 

First Time? Well good for you. I have tried both, and go nekkid now. Less mess and if done correctly better texture without much loss of moisture. 

 

Next time you try this do the thicker end of the spare rib, and you can get them very juicy over around 6 hours.

 

Keep up the good Q and thread posting, I enjoy seeing both.

 

Thanks,

Carlos

Thanks, Carlos. Getting the thicker end of the ribs here is a real problem. I live in the mountains and the local supermarket's selection isn't what you can get in the big smoke. You eat what you can get!

 

Disco

post #22 of 37

Hello.  GREAT job Disco.  I also prefer the no foil.  I prefer the texture of the meat as opposed to foiled.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #23 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post
 

Hello.  GREAT job Disco.  I also prefer the no foil.  I prefer the texture of the meat as opposed to foiled.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Thanks. I it just another thing I have learned at SMF!

 

Disco

post #24 of 37

I tried that last summer. The wife said to go back to the foil. :wife:  Glad it worked out for you, though.

post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneeley490 View Post
 

I tried that last summer. The wife said to go back to the foil. :wife:  Glad it worked out for you, though.

There is no doubt that any desire of the wife trumps any preference I have. Plus, you have to admit that there is nothing wrong with foiled ribs, they are just different. I ate them with great joy for the last year!

post #26 of 37
post #27 of 37
Hey Disco..... Glad you like them no-foil.... me too.... I'm still havin' to make Brides foiled, fall off the bone... but she's from Kansas..... go figure......

Dave
post #28 of 37
Thread Starter 

 

You never wrap? That must get you in trouble at Christmas time. Har! Thanks for the link to the picture.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Hey Disco..... Glad you like them no-foil.... me too.... I'm still havin' to make Brides foiled, fall off the bone... but she's from Kansas..... go figure......

Dave

 

Thanks, Dave. We all show that discretion is the better part of valour when it comes to our wives. Regardless, I wouldn't argue with anyone that foiled ribs are great. I just like the chew of the unfoiled ribs.

 

Disco

post #29 of 37

I never liked "Wrap" either!!

 

Give me Elvis, Bobby Vinton, Righteous Bros, etc, etc, and you can keep the Wrap and all the other ridiculous yelling & hollering we hear today.:rotflmao:

 

 

Bear

post #30 of 37
Hell yes Bear I am with you!
post #31 of 37
I am going to try the no-foil ribs today. Making no sauce, dry rubbed baby backs. Do you guys recommend a water pan since I'm not going to foil them? Will the water prevent the good bark texture I am hoping for with the no sauce ribs?
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Pipes View Post

I am going to try the no-foil ribs today. Making no sauce, dry rubbed baby backs. Do you guys recommend a water pan since I'm not going to foil them? Will the water prevent the good bark texture I am hoping for with the no sauce ribs?

 

What smoker are you using, that makes a big difference in suggestions?

post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

I never liked "Wrap" either!!

 

Give me Elvis, Bobby Vinton, Righteous Bros, etc, etc, and you can keep the Wrap and all the other ridiculous yelling & hollering we hear today.:rotflmao:

 

 

Bear

 

Jan & Dean, the Everly Bros, Beach Boys, all those other crazy hippie bands too!  <Chuckles>

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

What smoker are you using, that makes a big difference in suggestions?

Its a Masterbuilt extra wide propane.
post #35 of 37

With a fire breather, especially gas, a pan of water would be ok. I am sure you'll be checking 'em so that added moisture will escape. Its a really dry heat.

post #36 of 37

NICE JOB DISCO !!!!!
 Safeway has ribs on for $2.49 a pound up here for a couple days so i will try this out. i have always foiled and actually dont mind the softer meat.

i even still have all my own teeth.... gonna do up some of Dutches beans with it also. and probably some cornbread. this just seems to be the magic combo around here.

THE WARDEN has even learned to eat ribs with her hands ... HA HA HA

 

Goliath

post #37 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLIATH View Post
 

NICE JOB DISCO !!!!!
 Safeway has ribs on for $2.49 a pound up here for a couple days so i will try this out. i have always foiled and actually dont mind the softer meat.

i even still have all my own teeth.... gonna do up some of Dutches beans with it also. and probably some cornbread. this just seems to be the magic combo around here.

THE WARDEN has even learned to eat ribs with her hands ... HA HA HA

 

Goliath

I look forward to the post!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Time Smoking Ribs Without Foil