You get what you pay for...Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
So when I got my first kettle a couple years ago I had no idea what a vortex was, so of course hit up Amazon and ordered one. After I was using it, I came to realize that vortex was actually the name of it...but of course on Amazon all the cheap knock offs come up first. I was bummed, first that missed an opportunity to get an American made product but most of all I found out the creator and manufacturer was in the next town over from me. Damage done and have been using the knock off since.

Now I acquired another kettle a couple days ago and knew the 2 kettles will resolve in different states so I would need another Vortex. So I ordered the "real Vortex medium" and was shocked at the difference in size...in reality the knock off is probably a small not medium and it is more cheaply made. At least I had the opportunity to make it right.

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

I'm glad you bought an original Cliff. I know it's a little more expensive than the knock-offs, but someone put a lot time and effort into designing and building the Vortex, and I hate it when someone else capitalizes on someone elses hard work. Enjoy the new Vortex. I use mine a ton and outside of a little discoloration it's still performing like it was brand new.

Chris

I got the original Vortex at Malcom Reeds store here in town. Had looked at the ones on amazon. After seeing your pics I'm glad I went with the real deal.

Jim

I'm glad you bought an original Cliff. I know it's a little more expensive than the knock-offs, but someone put a lot time and effort into designing and building the Vortex, and I hate it when someone else capitalizes on someone elses hard work. Enjoy the new Vortex. I use mine a ton and outside of a little discoloration it's still performing like it was brand new.

Chris
I was not aware at the time there was a "real" vortex, I am kind of hoping the knock off will rust out so I can buy another real one. Yes it was about $10 more but included a bottle of their chicken rub and a beer coozie and is 40% larger.

I'm looking at getting one as well... My problem is... It seems like it takes a boatload of charcoal to fill it...And then the wings are done in no time at all... Seems like there will be plenty of wasted charcoal left over to me ... And sense Kingsford doesn't do the twin pack sales any more, I try to be frugal with my charcoal...

The medium Vortex for the 22" kettle takes about a charcoal starter of partially ashed over coals to fill completely. A charcoal starter of fully ashed over charcoal will fill the Vortex about 3/4s full. For steaks I go with a full charcoal starter(searing purposes). For chicken I've been starting with the starter 3/4s full of unlit. Unless I'm also doing a couple of potatoes. Then I'll use a full starter for chicken. This is with KBB sized briquettes.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky