Yonder vs Horizon Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

megownm

Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
All,
New to this board but not to smoking/BBQ'ing. I've used all sorts of smokers and have 5 different ones at the current time but my standard one I use 90% of the time is getting old and worn out. I currently have an original OKJ and it's bad ass but thinking its time for something new that is under $1k. I know there are many bad ass ones over that price but don't need one for that cost as I have access to a few of those ones any time I need/wish to smoke that much BBQ.

I know the story with OKJ and don't really like the design/how they are made today since they were sold out years ago and made in mass like in an assembly line much like cars are today.

From what I've found so far for my options that are close to or under the $1k mark are either:

1. Yonders
2. Horizon

NOT looking for pellet, just regular offset smokers....

What's everyones thought on those 2 brands? I know much about where the Horizon smokers come from (history) just haven't used/smoked on one.

If there is another brand out there for the cost please let me know as I'd like to look at the make as well.

Thanx for any/all input!

Cheers!

Here is some info on the horizon

After checking them out online it doesn't appear there's a lot of difference between the two, both welded heavy gauge steel made in USA. The Horizon 16" model seems to sell for $100 less than the Yoder Cheyanne of the same size. As far as I can find those are the only two BBQ smokers made in the USA with 1/4" welded steel under a grand. RAY

Thanx guys for the info. I've seen all the reviews and been to both webpages. Looking for some folks that might have used them. Do I need to make MODs to them i.e. extend chimney stack lower inside the pit, or is it a good idea to tack or rivet in some flat bar to add tuning plates to help evenly distribute the heat across the pit, etc...etc..plus one of the big ones is how does it hold the heat? Do I have to stand at the pit for 14 hours when I'm doing a brisket constantly adjusting vents to keep the pit at the temp I'm shooting for.....

Any info like that would be great!

Cheers!

Never heard of that company. Went to the webpage and viewed a few different youtube videos on the smoker. Seems like a good smoker..... Will definitely add this one to the list of potential one to get!

Cheers!

Reactions: jcam222
Horizon smokers are very nice, as are Yoder. They're very similar. I'd take into consideration how close the nearest dealer is, in the event that warranty or customer service is necessary.

Reactions: jcam222
I'm in Tampa, FL so think both are a long way. I do have a question on the Horizon's though...I see Bass Pro sells them...I assume that the ones they sell are the same ones that you buy direct from the actual Horizon company? If so I have a Bass Pro 10 minutes from the house. I wouldn't even have to pay shipping....

I'm in Tampa, FL so think both are a long way. I do have a question on the Horizon's though...I see Bass Pro sells them...I assume that the ones they sell are the same ones that you buy direct from the actual Horizon company? If so I have a Bass Pro 10 minutes from the house. I wouldn't even have to pay shipping....
Based on shipping cost for these type things I’d say that pushes the Horizon pretty high on your list if quality and cooking space is close to comparable

Go with the Horizon then, no shipping costs and no probability of damage. Plus I like the fact you have a place you can actually go to in the event of an issue, BPS is great to deal with.

Where in Tampa are you? I'm over in Brandon....

Did you end up going with the Horizon? I'm in the midst of the same decision right now (loaded Wichita vs. 20" Marshal or Classic Icon).

Actually, Yoder and Horizon are almost exactly the same smoker.

When Joe Davidson sold Oklahoma Joe to CharBroil in 1998. His brother Roger began making just about the same smoker under the Horizon brand. And the production manager for both Joe and Roger , left to to to Wichita and work for Yoder.

So, there may be some small diff, but both brands are a modern day Oklahoma Joe. Same people.

Reactions: phatbac
Actually, Yoder and Horizon are almost exactly the same smoker.

When Joe Davidson sold Oklahoma Joe to CharBroil in 1998. His brother Roger began making just about the same smoker under the Horizon brand. And the production manager for both Joe and Roger , left to to to Wichita and work for Yoder.

So, there may be some small diff, but both brands are a modern day Oklahoma Joe. Same people.

Thanks for the back story. They look very similar, too. There's a few things I like about some of the Horizons -- the grate-levels smoke stack on the Icon, fewer complaints about airflow -- but the Yoder also looks great. Hence the difficulty of making the call :)

Thanks for the back story. They look very similar, too. There's a few things I like about some of the Horizons -- the grate-levels smoke stack on the Icon, fewer complaints about airflow -- but the Yoder also looks great. Hence the difficulty of making the call :)

I have an Old Country Brazos. I just went to look at the Horizon Icon and my Brazos is a better smoker for about $500 less money and maybe even more if ya can buy the Brazos from a local Academy.

The Horizon Icon is 20 X 36 , with an 18" firebox, and what appears to be a 4" stack set just above grate level. Its 1/4" steel. And requires a convection plate.

My Brazos is 20 X 40 , has an upper cooking grate, has a 20" firebox , and a 6" stack at grate level. Is 1/4" steel.

Brazos has a baffle between the cook chamber and firebox while the Icon relies on the convection plate.

Just to throw this out there i was looking at something else at BPS and saw a Horizon 16" Ranger (the one with a vertical chamber) on clearance price $500 off ($1299) i hope that helps anyone looking for a good stick burner. if i didn't have Suzy Q i would be driving to BPS to get that one myself!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks for the info. I have been looking to get a Lang and just missed out on getting a used one. I had planned on holding out for a Lang and only a Lang but this one has me tempted.

From talking with the owner of Horizon he said the 16" is a bit small and he has people selling the 16"and coming back for the bigger model. It really depends what you are looking to cook. Since I wanted the ability to do a turkey I knew I needed a 20". Mine is scheduled to ship this week, finally.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky