Yoder 640 Loaded & rolling!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
So got this party tonight and I was asked to smoke a brisket. Expecting around 20 but that number could vary either way. I grabbed a 18.7 lbs whole packer select brisket at Sams and also grabbed 15 lbs (3 pack) of baby back ribs. Only 1 of the racks is what I consider a "baby back" but the other 2 are larger and that's ok. So last night I fire up the yoder with CookingPellets 100% Hickory and put the brisket on at 9:00 pm with my own version of a SPOG rub with a dash of chipotle chili powder and cayenne with the Yoder set @ 220 - Also threw in a 12" tube AMPS full of Pitmasters Choice pellets and let that rock along all night - had an adult beverage (or two) and went to bed. This morning I got up and cranked the yoder up to 250 @ 07:00, then up to 275 around 9;00 and I threw in a small rib roast that I have to cook (since it was already thawed out) - Covered the rib roast in Meat Church Holy Cow and set it in a pan to keep the juice with the roast. Prepped the ribs with Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ and into the Yoder they went. I'm spritzing the ribs with apple juice (My first time to spritz ribs with apple juice) and watching temps. Wasn't planning to crutch anything but we'll see - I got plenty of foil if needed. I have to pull all of this by around 4 pm to head to the party. I'm not well practiced at this much cooking at once. Hope it all turns out ok.
IMG_4066.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4078.JPG

The great thing is you can control the temp, good luck and remember, the cooler will keep it hot for a long time

Looking good, are you keeping an eye on the brisket temp?
Thanks, I always run a probe in the point & one in the flat with spot checks with my Thermo pen that also works as my "poke" test. When it's like poking the probe into hot butter, it's done. I shoot for 203 deg since it's the "golden temp" as per a lot of the experts. 200 to 210 is my actual target.

Looks good! Yoder sure didn't cheap out with the number of temps probes on that unit :emoji_wink:
Naw, Yoder didn't do that. Wasn't planned that way but it's how it happened. That's 100% me. Hey It's FrankenYoder!

BTW, Unlike several of the others here on this forum that do such a great job of photos & documenting their cooks & process, well, I'm not one of them. I can tell you the meat all turned out just like I had planned so that's a win. Ribs had a light tug & the Monster brisket was pure goodness when I cut into the middle of it. Just over 20 showed up and everyone had plenty with some leftovers scattered in a few directions.

It was a bit of a balancing act when I added the ribs & rib roast to the cooker but I maintained 275 until the ribs were done and I never crutched anything. Brisket did stall around 170/180 with the cooker full but once I pulled the ribs I increased the temps in the Yoder to 300 and finished it out. Anytime I've cooked a chunk of meat that big that varies in thickness I find it challenging to manage temps but I got the majority of the brisket into the temp range that works. I can tell you the Yoder performed great. Just over 18 hours of cooking & about 40 lbs of Hickory pellets. Again, sorry no finished product photos. Our group does something unique when we get together - everyone leaves their phones in their vehicles and we actually socialize like back in the old days!
As far as the BBQ? Total success!

Reactions: Scooter Trash
Our group does something unique when we get together - everyone leaves their phones in their vehicles and we actually socialize like back in the old days!

Something that is rarely done these days. I applaud your group. Glad the smoke was a success.

Naw, Yoder didn't do that. Wasn't planned that way but it's how it happened. That's 100% me. Hey It's FrankenYoder!

BTW, Unlike several of the others here on this forum that do such a great job of photos & documenting their cooks & process, well, I'm not one of them. I can tell you the meat all turned out just like I had planned so that's a win. Ribs had a light tug & the Monster brisket was pure goodness when I cut into the middle of it. Just over 20 showed up and everyone had plenty with some leftovers scattered in a few directions.

It was a bit of a balancing act when I added the ribs & rib roast to the cooker but I maintained 275 until the ribs were done and I never crutched anything. Brisket did stall around 170/180 with the cooker full but once I pulled the ribs I increased the temps in the Yoder to 300 and finished it out. Anytime I've cooked a chunk of meat that big that varies in thickness I find it challenging to manage temps but I got the majority of the brisket into the temp range that works. I can tell you the Yoder performed great. Just over 18 hours of cooking & about 40 lbs of Hickory pellets. Again, sorry no finished product photos. Our group does something unique when we get together - everyone leaves their phones in their vehicles and we actually socialize like back in the old days!
As far as the BBQ? Total success!

Haha! I did think "man that's a lot of thermos"! Looks good though, glad your cook turned out well. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Well I cooked all this food and it fed a bunch of folks. I also threw that small rib roast in I had to cook and last night I cut it in half, put it back on the grill for it's 2nd round of smoke. Brought it back up to a temp in the 120/130 range then pulled it and cranked up the Yoder to 500 deg. Seared these 2 Fred Flinstone looking steaks and the flavor was pure magic. Twice smoked with Holy Cow rub (I recommend trying this rub on beef). My wife agrees - The flavor in this meat is awesome. Was a great weekend of cooking.
IMG_4079.JPG IMG_4080.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky