Workin on new convertable smoker. 3 smokers in one.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatewood iron

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Morganfield,Ky
e3924349_3way001.jpg
Recently I came up with the idea of combining 3 smorkers into 1. Although the building process is relatively easy I wonder about the practicality of it. I plan on having 2 simultaneous cooking chambers and one siering grill over the fire box. The vertical smoker will be removable so as to use the seiring grill. The main chamber will also be removable for easy storage or travel. The cooker will be wood or charcoal fired. The main chamber will have charcoal pans that double as drip pans as will the fire box. Any suggestions will be appreciated and any modifications or eliminations will be noted. thank you.
2ef25136_6-4-12cooker003.jpg
b4f4df59_6-4-12cooker004.jpg

Last edited:
Gatewood, morning.... You have some amazing skills...  Nice fit-up and welds...

Is the new owner going to need a fork truck to separate the sections ?? I can't tell what size the sections are or their weight....

Dave 

Hey thanks Dave. i'm lucky to have good equipment to work with like breaks and shears for the seams. the whole thing isn't as big as it sounds. the main chamber is 20"x20"x35" without the top and made of 14 gauge. it will also be on casters. the fire box will be the heaviest. it's 26"x20"x20" and made of 11gauge. it will also be on it's own casters. the vertical smoker/oven will be 20"x20"x20" and made of 14 gauge. it may take 2 guys to lift it because of the akwardness of it. but i've been able to lift each part myself. the owner needed it to be versitile so he could take certain parts of it camping but also be able to cook for the entire family.

GI, evening....  I'm trying to see the corners....   They look radius-ed and polished....  Tell you what.... If I was given one of those, I don't think I could cook on it... Too pretty.... Know-what-I-mean....  

Anyway, you must be retired to do work like that.....  NICE.......   Can't wait to see it finished and "smoked up"...  Dave

thanks again Dave. I wish I was retired. This is a project that I'm working on with my advanced students. I'd rather do this in my own shop at home . But I gotta make a living on the outside for awhile. The corners are round beause I bent them in a sheet metal break. We did polish the welds though. I hate visible seams for some reason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky