Worcestershire Sauce in Beef Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jsk53

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 7, 2013
Green Valley, Az
Recently, I tried Backwoods snack stick seasoning on a batch of beef sticks. I added some ECA which worked well, but it was missing something. I'm not sure, but would adding some Worcestershire sauce, maybe a couple teaspoons per pound work? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reactions: Coreymacc
Personally not a fan of it, I think it's the taramind that turns me off. I'd suggest accent/msg instead. I use at .25% meat weight. Must have for me.

Ive been thinking of trying Worchestershire sauce in sticks myself. Ive been looking at powdered worchestershire. The powdered jerky mix that comes with the Nesco dehydrators, i swear it has some in there. I think its good.

I would try it.
Corey

Ive been thinking of trying Worchestershire sauce in sticks myself. Ive been looking at powdered worchestershire. The powdered jerky mix that comes with the Nesco dehydrators, i swear it has some in there. I think its good.

I would try it.
Corey
Thanks Corey. I wasn't aware of powdered Worchestershire. I'll check it out. It's probably concentrated so a little might go a long way. Thanks.
Jeff

I am a very harsh critic of my own stuff and am always tweaking. I will sprinkle small amounts of things on pieces and do a taste test. The moment I tried msg I was like THAT'S IT! No surprise that all my favorite mixes contain it too. I rushed my post but just confirmed the Backwoods mix does not contain it already.

Jerky is another story and WS is a must. My Dad's formula calls for a ton of it. Works great there.

Thanks Corey. I wasn't aware of powdered Worchestershire. I'll check it out. It's probably concentrated so a little might go a long way. Thanks.
Jeff
If your looking at powdered worchester I was toying with using powdered soy sauce in sticks also. Go hard or go home!! 😆

Corey

I use powdered Worchestershire in mine. Works very good. Use sparingly as it is pretty strong stuff. I use 1 tsp per five pounds

Reactions: tallbm
I am a very harsh critic of my own stuff and am always tweaking. I will sprinkle small amounts of things on pieces and do a taste test. The moment I tried msg I was like THAT'S IT! No surprise that all my favorite mixes contain it too. I rushed my post but just confirmed the Backwoods mix does not contain it already.

Jerky is another story and WS is a must. My Dad's formula calls for a ton of it. Works great there.
I've followed your advice before and haven't been disappointed. I'll give it a try. Any guidance on how much per pound of meat? BTW, I agree with WS and Jerky....a must! Thanks.
Jeff

I've followed your advice before and haven't been disappointed. I'll give it a try. Any guidance on how much per pound of meat? BTW, I agree with WS and Jerky....a must! Thanks.
Jeff
1lb is 454g and .25% of 454g = 1.1g. Based on a calculator online I'd say a scant 1/4tsp per pound and that would be around 1tsp per 5lb.

1lb is 454g and .25% of 454g = 1.1g. Based on a calculator online I'd say a scant 1/4tsp per pound and that would be around 1tsp per 5lb.
I'll try a small batch tomorrow and report back. I also ordered some powdered Worchestershire which was suggested. I'll give that a try too. Can't hurt to experiment. That's the fun of this....
Thanks,
Jeff

Reactions: zwiller
I have used Worcestershire sauce in snack sticks before, but as mentioned, use in moderation as it can overpower the mix. I use it as a subtle flavor in Bourbon and Black pepper snack sticks. I also use a Worcestershire/hot sauce blend to wet tasso to hold the seasoning on the meat. Also very subtle...goes well with the bold and heavy smoke on tasso.

I have used Worcestershire sauce in snack sticks before, but as mentioned, use in moderation as it can overpower the mix. I use it as a subtle flavor in Bourbon and Black pepper snack sticks. I also use a Worcestershire/hot sauce blend to wet tasso to hold the seasoning on the meat. Also very subtle...goes well with the bold and heavy smoke on tasso.
Good insight, Thanks. Let the experiments continue....always fun.
Jeff

JSK, I'm thinking if you're adding ECA that you are looking for tang ?? If so try some cultured buttermilk powder also, I go 1 cup per 10# and you could add more depending on your tastes.

Good insight, Thanks. Let the experiments continue....always fun.
Jeff

When you experiment you can do so with 1 pound and then take a little glob and fry it up in a skillet and see if it has good taste.

Now understand that the taste in the skillet will not be exactly what the sticks taste like. I've learned the key is just to taste for good flavor and to see if too bland or too strong... especially with salt content.
If it tastes good from the skillet fry test then go ahead and stuff it and see what it comes out tasting like from there. Then you tweak, fry test again. Every passing of a tweak + fry test should result in doing sticks and repeat until you nail the flavor you want.

I suggest you keep batches small (max 2lbs) until you nail it. Then go wild!
Also measure by weight if you can and it will scale up perfectly as you increast from 2lbs to 5lbs, to 10lbs, to 20lbs, etc.

This all comes from personal experience so please learn from my mistakes and hard lessons learned :D

When you experiment you can do so with 1 pound and then take a little glob and fry it up in a skillet and see if it has good taste.

Now understand that the taste in the skillet will not be exactly what the sticks taste like. I've learned the key is just to taste for good flavor and to see if too bland or too strong... especially with salt content.
If it tastes good from the skillet fry test then go ahead and stuff it and see what it comes out tasting like from there. Then you tweak, fry test again. Every passing of a tweak + fry test should result in doing sticks and repeat until you nail the flavor you want.

I suggest you keep batches small (max 2lbs) until you nail it. Then go wild!
Also measure by weight if you can and it will scale up perfectly as you increast from 2lbs to 5lbs, to 10lbs, to 20lbs, etc.

This all comes from personal experience so please learn from my mistakes and hard lessons learned :D
Great process for experimentation. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I never thought to fry for taste. I will definitely do that and adjust from there. Really appreciate it.
Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky