wood smoker not getting hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JUNKYARDSMOKER

Original poster
Sep 23, 2022
i can not get this girl above 150 celcius. the fire box top gets to 270 c. i have enlarged the fire box to cook chamber opening and think now i have ask going into the chamber. the opening at the rf plates is as big as fire box hole, yet i am wondering if i dont have enough draw out the exhaust even though it is 4 inch. i can take the stainless extension out but it makes little difference. any one help me out, cheers.

Attachments

• 20220924_132429[1].jpg
    20220924_132429[1].jpg
    177 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220924_131727[1].jpg
    20220924_131727[1].jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220924_132327[1].jpg
    20220924_132327[1].jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 42
But also... looking at the pictures of the firebox... The vents at the top of the firebox is all the vents it has ?? No vents at the bottom to feed the fire ?

But also... looking at the pictures of the firebox... The vents at the top of the firebox is all the vents it has ?? No vents at the bottom to feed the fire ?
If you click on the picture of the firebox you will see a half moon vent at the bottom of the door. I think it’s a bit small but he can always crack the door for more air. With the vents up top, he should be able to move the heat very well from the FB to CC. Looks like a good set up.

air vents pionts are at the top and the bottom, yes. the smoke pools in the fire box so i think there is not flow through. i did do something and cut the RF plates at the oposite end and it greatly incresed the temp at theat end but now the difference between each end is 30 c.
Most people run their offset from about 107-150C

Why do you want to run higher?
to season it. getting it hot. then if i want to ramp it up to do potato bake or something.

Okay, you have a reverse flow smoker, and you want higher pit temps? I think it's design is to keep a constant heat at the meat level at the grate, not to jump up to roasting temps.

I can see the firebox might be a little low. Or the stack a little small in diameter. But honestly, it seems to be laid out pretty good for barbecue.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
air vents pionts are at the top and the bottom, yes. the smoke pools in the fire box so i think there is not flow through. i did do something and cut the RF plates at the oposite end and it greatly incresed the temp at theat end but now the difference between each end is 30 c.

to season it. getting it hot. then if i want to ramp it up to do potato bake or something.
You just ain't lit a big enough fire in the firebox yet. Can't imagine you can't push it up well over 300°F if you're really trying.

I agree with DougE, looks like you're using charcoal briquettes, find some good quality lump and don't be afraid to load the fire box- more fuel=higher temps. BTW your pit is made to burn wood splits, ideally.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky