Wood Chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigdog7

Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Naples Florida
I was wondering if I can start my chunk burning
With a torch to get smoke right away. I am used to using chips but it took to long to get smoke and it only lasted forty five minutes to an hour. Any help would be appreciated.

I start chunks with a torch, sometimes even my chips, especially when starting up cold with a propane smoker. Nothing can really cause issue for you other than when the wood starts burning, you may need to either blow it out or crank the gas burner on high to reduce the oxygen getting to the wood to snuff out the flame. Crack your door open to take a peek for the first few minutes to be sure they don't flare-up. If you don't see smoke coming out the vent, either the woods is burning (flame) or it wasn't quite ready to make smoke...just hit it again if quit smoldering.

Eric

Thanks for the advice! I am using a Masterbuilt Dual fuel smoker using propane. When I was using chips, they would ignite after an hour. Then the smoke only lasted about forty five minutes. I was looking to add a little more smoke, hence my switching to chunks. I am still a newbie at this and while all my smokes have been tasty, I would like to nail down a good smoking process so I will not have to waste time playing with the wood, and have more time to do other meat smokes. I am doing ribs today, so I will try to let everyone know how they came out.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky