Wood chunks and Weber kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dsloms

Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Hello everyone. Just tried out smoking on my Weber 22” kettle. It worked well. My question is how do I eliminate think white smoke using wood chunks. Any thoughts or tips? How long let them burn before throwing the food on?

~Dan S.

My first question is "How are you setting up the charcoal"? Are you using the snake method, charcoal baskets, Slow-n-Sear, Vortex or other method? Basically I bury the wood in the charcoal, unless I'm using the Vortex. Then I put the charcoal on the cooking grate above the heat.

Chris

Made my own slow and sear out of 2 charcoal baskets. Worked well holding the temps. Threw some hickory chunks just off to the side of the lit coals. Chunk lit up right away and wasn’t sure if I put the food on too soon and had the white thick smoke giving me the flavor. If that makes any sense.

Ok cool, when I'm using either the baskets or the S-n-S for lower temp smoking 225* to 250*. I'll start about 4 or 5 coals in one corner of the basket. Once those coals are fully ashed over I'll add 1 chunk of wood about a briquette distance from the lit coals. Then I'll add 2 more about the same distance from each other. Finally I'll fill the rest of the basket up with unlit coals covering the wood. If I'm going for higher heat cooking then I'll put three wood chunks on the bottom of the basket. One in each corner and one in the middle. fill about midway up the basket with unlit coals. Then top off the basket with fully ashed over lit coals. Hope this helps and isn't to confusing.

Chris

Reactions: BigW. and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky