With or without water when adding seasoning?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's why I asked....

I contacted HM and I asked them directly if there was any binder in the mix. There is nothing on the label that relates to any binder. I asked them based on an allergy assumption.

Ingredients:
Black Pepper, salt, dehydrated garlic, extractives of turmeric. Cure: Salt, sugar, sodium nitrite (.85%), caramel color.

Taken right from the website.

You can even use egg white as a binder...add egg white to your water and pulse in a blender. The extra protein will denature. 1 egg white per 5lbs. of meat....it is a very cheap source of quality protein for a binder....

I do both. I really like the HM Cracked pepper and Garlic mix. I bought a bulk bag of that and made individual packages measured out for 10 lbs of meat and ran them through the FS.

So to denature the proteins during mixing I am doing that by mixing my salts/seasonings and cure and letting the meat become sticky correct? that was my understanding with all my reading I have done regarding this topic.
Normally I was just adding my seasonings, salt and cure doing a light mix then adding my water right away for ease of stuffing.
Should I just let the seasonings/salt and cure mix by itself and get tacky then add my water for stuffing?

I missed this post somehow...
If you add the seasoning to the meat, mix, then add water, mix until tacky, then stuff without allowing the salt to extract proteins, the only proteins used as your binder are those on the surface of the meat that come into contact with the solution and get denatured upon mixing. If you let the meat paste sit under refrigeration to extract proteins, you will get a better bind and a better snap, plumper links (less moisture loss upon smoking, i.e. fewer wrinkles), as more proteins are being denatured to be used as the binder. At least this is my understanding of the process....

With already ground meat, I suggest:
Mix dry seasoning into the meat. Hold under refrigeration min, of 12 hours. Then mix water and your binder for stuffing....

Reactions: hondabbq
I found this:
https://meatsci.osu.edu/node/130

"A 7 percent brine solution is ideal for solubilization of myosin. Using meat which contains 65 percent moisture, one would want 4.5 percent salt in contact with the meat for maximum extraction of proteins. This can be accomplished during chopping by adding the salt initially with the meat but with no additional water. This extraction is also enhanced by using ice instead of water to reduce the emulsion temperature to 28 to 30F. Once these proteins are extracted, they remain soluble with the addition of water."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky