Will Pitt Boss ever offer a PID controller ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dave_XDM9

Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
I know Pitt Boss has PID on there new Platinum, but why not offer a new PID controller for the Pro Series, Austin XL, Sportsman and Navigator. Not everyone wants that Transformer looking Lockhart grill so why offer an upgrade to other PB customers?

Reactions: Smkryng
They could definitely do with a controller upgrade for sure. But keeping the price down at the store probably has a lot to do with the controller they went with. It was worth it to me to spend an extra 200 on an aftermarket controller though after realizing the shortcomings of the stock controller.

Reactions: bdawg and Steff3
I understand the price point, but it will be nice if they offered one as an add on if someone wanted to take the grill to the next level. Also when a company calls a grill there Pro Series...seriously a China OEM controller is not Pro Series quality at all so Pitt Boss needs to rethink that name by adding a shelf and bigger hopper is not Pro Series to me.... LOL

I upgraded my Pitboss with a SmokeDaddy pid controller. In terms of parts fitting parts, it went right in. My big complaint was that the wire colors in the Pitboss didn't match their own wiring diagrams. I had to manually follow every wire to ensure I wasn't connecting the PID wires to the wrong parts. I was a Elec. Engr minor in college, so this wasn't hard, but I wonder if I wouldn't have caught it had I not been as savvy doing electrical things as I am. I could definitely see the uninitiated messing things up.

I upgraded my Pitboss with a SmokeDaddy pid controller. In terms of parts fitting parts, it went right in. My big complaint was that the wire colors in the Pitboss didn't match their own wiring diagrams. I had to manually follow every wire to ensure I wasn't connecting the PID wires to the wrong parts. I was a Elec. Engr minor in college, so this wasn't hard, but I wonder if I wouldn't have caught it had I not been as savvy doing electrical things as I am. I could definitely see the uninitiated messing things up.
I can see where some would have problems with the electrical, of course for some even measuring, marking, and cutting a hole may be an issue whether it’s just not in their skill set or even just lacking the proper tools. A true plug and play controller designed to fit the stock hole would definitely be a plus.

Reactions: bdawg
I agree. That was another issue, it wasn't an exact fit. I had to drill screw holes and even today the cover doesn't fit exactly over the rectangular hole because the cover is too narrow to cover it completely. Smoke Daddy could offer variant covers (you choose which model you want to replace) to make it easier and more aesthetic.

Reactions: Smkryng
I agree. That was another issue, it wasn't an exact fit. I had to drill screw holes and even today the cover doesn't fit exactly over the rectangular hole because the cover is too narrow to cover it completely. Smoke Daddy could offer variant covers (you choose which model you want to replace) to make it easier and more aesthetic.
That would definitely be an improvement. I went with a Savannah Stoker controller designed to be vertically mounted, it would fit the hole if mounted sideways but who wants to stand on their ear to set their temp.

Reactions: bdawg
Just get a Savannah Stoker and be happy. You will need to modify to mount vertical. Unit works great. How bad do you really need Bluetooth or Wifi?
IMG_E1722.JPG

Walmart paid for exclusivity. I bet the next models to be released will have it and they won't be Walmart exclusive. I think they'd rather phase out old designs than update them with new controllers at this point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky