Will MBGS replace our propane grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsds71

Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Hello! I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the MB Gravity Series 800. Just wondering if this will also replace our propane grill for the quick weeknight grill of chicken breast, brats, burgers, etc.? Anyone have the MB and use this for, basically everything? We're used to pushing a button and throwing our meat on the grill, I'm hoping the MB won't be too much of an inconvenience to use nightly. Any info is appreciated!

I have replaced my gasser with the MBGF 1050 and use it several times a week.
Not to say it's as easy or as quick as pressing the ignition, but I enjoy the flavor much better. But that's me. My gas grill needed parts and had some age (like me ) and I chose not to repair it.
Would I use it for a quick steak or dogs...
probably so at times.

Keith

I'm assuming since you have the 1050, you don't have the griddle component? My husband had been eyeing a Blackstone and I was thinking/hoping the MB 800 would also take care of that element as well?

I'm assuming since you have the 1050, you don't have the griddle component? My husband had been eyeing a Blackstone and I was thinking/hoping the MB 800 would also take care of that element as well?
That's right and I have some friends that have the 800 and love The Griddle accessory!

• Love
Reactions: Nick87 and negolien
I sold quite a few of these earlier this year. Several of them to my friends and they use theirs to grill as often as smoke. It’s up to temp in minutes and can do some serious high temp seating too. They love them.

I sold quite a few of these earlier this year. Several of them to my friends and they use theirs to grill as often as smoke. It’s up to temp in minutes and can do some serious high temp seating too. They love them.
Jeff did you keep one of those for yourself ? I don't see in your list of arsenal. If so, do you like ?

I was going to keep one but a close friend really wanted one badly. I went ahead and sold it to him. He really loves it. I may still add one in the future.
Just out of curiosity, how do you sell them? Do you own a retail store of some sort?

I have replaced my gasser with the MBGF 1050 and use it several times a week.
Not to say it's as easy or as quick as pressing the ignition, but I enjoy the flavor much better. But that's me.

Keith
That's an interesting idea. A long time ago I went from charcoal to gas because I didn't like the inconsistent heat from charcoal. I couldn't turn it down for a light grill and for slow cooking was a PITA.

This summer I am building an outdoor kitchen on my patio and am all set on a Blaze gas grill. I have a Smoke Vault smoker that I use for smoking. How easy are these gf units to keep temp for low and slow like ribs?

That's an interesting idea. A long time ago I went from charcoal to gas because I didn't like the inconsistent heat from charcoal. I couldn't turn it down for a light grill and for slow cooking was a PITA.

This summer I am building an outdoor kitchen on my patio and am all set on a Blaze gas grill. I have a Smoke Vault smoker that I use for smoking. How easy are these gf units to keep temp for low and slow like ribs?
Set it and forget it. Holds temps extremely well for low/slow and adjusts to 700° sear very quickly.

Keith

That's right and I have some friends that have the 800 and love The Griddle accessory!
I'm thinking the 800 is going to be too small for us. Is there any talk of a griddle add on for the 1050? Or is the way it is setup not possible for that?

Not that I've heard of unfortunately.
The 800 can hold a lot of food. How many in your family? And what do you anticipate using it the most far? Grilling? Smoking?

Not that I've heard of unfortunately.
The 800 can hold a lot of food. How many in your family? And what do you anticipate using it the most far? Grilling? Smoking?
There are 6 of us and will use mostly for grilling. A typical weeknight would be 2-3 chicken breasts, 6 bratwursts, maybe a few burgers, and veggies and potato pack or some side item. My husband likes to takes leftovers for lunch.
I usually smoke a pork shoulder and whole chicken about once a month.

Nothing will ever replace my gasser. My sear burner does 1500F. I used a Blaze at our AirBNB last year and that is a NICE grill. Not sure actual temps it got but think it approached near mine. I am not easily impressed but I was that grill. For smoke, you can always do like I do and throw a tube in there for smoke.

I have an 800 and love it, but still use my gas grill for most of my weeknight quick cooks. It's just too easy to hit the button to start it up.

Also, I like to have it for grilling side dishes or lunch while the 800 is going smoking during longer cooks. If you have the space for both, I'd recommend keeping your gas grill.

There are 6 of us and will use mostly for grilling. A typical weeknight would be 2-3 chicken breasts, 6 bratwursts, maybe a few burgers, and veggies and potato pack or some side item. My husband likes to takes leftovers for lunch.
I usually smoke a pork shoulder and whole chicken about once a month.
I would be cooking all of those on the griddle with the sides on the middle or top shelf.
Especially after seeing the flattop work of Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , which is a feature now !

Keith

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I have a question for the 800 owners ... fuel consumption ?? Say to cook breakfast( ie... home fries, sausage links/patties, and eggs ) on the flat top... how much charcoal do you figure you use ??

Fuel consumption for, say ribs ??

A little more insight on fuel consumption please...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky