Wild roasted duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Just going through the deep freezer, making room, cooking, etc. ran across a couple vac bags of whole ducks that had lost their seal, so I took them out to thaw this morning.

I’m also slicing some hickory bacon that is just finishing up, so I sliced about 12 slices extra thin and tossed em in the fridge earlier today.

I also had a pack of my home made boudin that lost its seal, and instantly I knew what I was going to do. Instead of our traditional wild rice, I was going to uncase this boudin and stuff it in the ducks. No brainer, this would be a great pairing!

Now my dad is a born and raised Cajun, and even though nowadays we mostly deer hunt, we still have some old family recipes and this is one of my favorites. Normally you stuff the carcass with apples and onions, but since I had boudin this go around, I just chopped some and placed them all around the birds.

Preheated the oven to 375 & started stuffing the ducks with the boudin. Boudin has pork, liver, rice, vegetables and seasonings. Very much like a rice dressing, so the perfect compliment for our tastes.
A0C8EDA4-072A-4309-867D-ABC54EFE7FF3.jpeg

Then I sprinkled Tony’s all over the birds. I had 7 teal and one grey duck. I topped the birds with the hickory bacon and placed them into the oven for 30 minutes.
18882DD1-5088-4A50-9976-79DEF064F62F.jpeg
Here they are ready for the oven

Now for the basting sauce. Like I said, this is my dads old recipe. You can tweak this however you like, but the taste brings me home so I wouldn’t change a thing. In a small sauce pan, heat to simmer a stick of butter, and add parsley, worchestichire sauce, liquid smoke and kitchen bouquet, to taste. You can also cut this a little with some water. I did, and just adjusted those ingredients until I got the flavor and color like I wanted.
079EBE9B-B768-4710-A692-ABA514DAC613.jpeg
And here is the sauce. I keep the ducks in the oven for 30 minutes before basting, then I baste every 10-15 minutes. The total cook time is usually right at an hour but I also go by color. Also, when the bacon is nice and crispy it’s usually perfect.

830414DF-B434-448A-AAF3-A73095BA9967.jpeg
These were the tastiest ducks we’ve had in I can’t remember how long. And the boudin, wow...just right! Sorry I didn’t get a plated pic, but they are a little on the messy side, before I had a good part of the breast cut up, my plate was already destroyed. So good!!

Holy cow that looks awesome.
All of my ducks from this season got ripped off when our house was broken into, they stole all of my meat fish and fowl. They got away with two plus possession limits wink, wink of Mallard and Sprig, pissed is an under statement.

Your birds were nice and clean, nice work on the head shooting.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: 73saint
Very nice saint. I have a few teal breasts in the deep freeze. Probably gonna break them out soon
Thanks TN. I had some breasts that I wanted to make duck pastrami with, but the skin was off.
Hell Yeah and LIKE!
Thanks Chile!
Holy cow that looks awesome.
All of my ducks from this season got ripped off when our house was broken into, they stole all of my meat fish and fowl. They got away with two plus possession limits wink, wink of Mallard and Sprig, pissed is an under statement.

Your birds were nice and clean, nice work on the head shooting.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks fork tender! Sorry to hear about the break-in. That just stinks, man! I hope they find out who did it.
Very Nice 73saints!!! Like!
Thanks Inda!

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky