Wild Hog Lomo/Coppa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I've had these coppa/lomo in the freezer since mid December so plenty long enough to kill any Trich. if the hog had any. Since I was doing breasola, I figured I might as well pull these out as well...

I forgot to take step by step pics. like I did with the beef breasola, but it was the same process, just different seasoning. I used Calabrian pepper on these.

Here they are wrapped, in netting ready for the chamber...
IMG_20210415_113405.jpg

In the chamber...in the back there behind the Culatello and the Fiocco...
IMG_20210415_114744.jpg

These cuts of meat were not quite all the way to the base of the head, and are cut back to the 7th rib, so they are half coppa and half lomo. Should be good either way...

Nice piece of work, gonna be some great snackin' down there, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray! Really looking forward to tasting this one...that wild hog has a strong porky aroma, no off smell at all...the curing and drying should transform it into something special!

Looks like you'll have some tasty stuff there

Thanks Jim! It smelled awesome when I took it out of the vac bag! These are fairly small dia. so should dry pretty fast....4-5 weeks I'm thinking....

Thank you.. had my eye on a cooler with a glass door for something like this.. I definitely have to do a lot of homework before I get to your level though!
Glass doors are not recommended....sunlight can cause the fat to go rancid. You want a dark environment to dry cure meats.

That stuff is all "mind boggling" to me, but certainly enjoy reading and looking at all the things you guys come up with. It is interesting.

Love these threads and updates !
Thanks SCBBQ! Post up your new chamber once you get it lined out!

LOL! Thanks Moto!

That stuff is all "mind boggling" to me, but certainly enjoy reading and looking at all the things you guys come up with. It is interesting.
Thanks Winterrider.....no voodoo involved, just education. Whole muscles are easier to cure. Salami making is where the art is at....I had no idea the level of understanding required to make good salami. The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know. The key is that I know how to make a safe product, everything else I learn just helps me to make it better.

Reactions: Winterrider
I guess my thought for the cooler was so I could see inside without opening the door and ruining the environment.. looks like that's not a good idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky