Wild Boar Napolitana Salami started...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Interestingly enough, last time I made this salami was a year ago to the day. Consistent, perfect cold smoking temperatures arrive here in January and February so I like to take advantage of it when it is here....

Recipe I use:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/salccicia-napolitana-dolce-sweet-naples-salami.304820/

But this go around, after the results from my fermentation trials with calabrian pepper powder, I am forgoing any addition of sugars. The salami has been fermenting for 22 hours @ 68*F and the pH has dropped to 5.27 just from the sugars in the 1% pepper powder. Awesome. So glad I took the time to do those trials.

Wild Sow lean trimmed of all sinew, fat and connective tissue; now considered class 1 meat. Along with 24% pastured Berkshire back fat.
IMG_20220112_202426710.jpg

Stuffed into 42mm hog casings Fermenting on a rack over a tray of water and wrapped in cling film. The rack is to help straighten the hog casings once the bind is set so they hang straight in my chamber. I am forgoing the traditional loop style salami for a lack of hanging space in my chamber currently.
IMG_20220113_011453374.jpg

Have some of daveomak daveomak 's pellet dust drying in the oven now for cold smoking tomorrow night. Suppose to get down in the upper 40's...perfect cold smoking weather.

Last edited:
Man! You’re a machine making all these amazing sausages and salami’s etc! It’s really impressive!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Man! You’re a machine making all these amazing sausages and salami’s etc! It’s really impressive!
Thanks bauchjw! I am limited by the size of my current drying chamber. I should be able to do more once I get this commercial 42cu.ft. freezer converted over to my new drying chamber. When I started making large whole salumi products that take 2-3 years to finish, it really takes a lot of space to do it all and keep room available for salamis.

• Wow
Reactions: bauchjw
I also learn with every batch. There are so many little small details that make a huge impact on the quality of the final product. Still way more to learn....

Reactions: zwiller
I also learn with every batch. There are so many little small details that make a huge impact on the quality of the final product. Still way more to learn....
It is a craft! I go to a sausage maker at our farmers market who is fun to talk with when there isn’t a crowd. Not sure if you do it already, but may be worth giving it a try!

Reactions: indaswamp
I love your sauage posts.
I misread and was trying to figure out what is "pasteurized" Berkshire back fat.

42 cu ft holds a lot of product, but also takes up some serious real estate, too.

I love your sauage posts.
I misread and was trying to figure out what is "pasteurized" Berkshire back fat.

42 cu ft holds a lot of product, but also takes up some serious real estate, too.
Thanks Fueling.... I had about 5# of pork fat leftover and now have it in a crock pot on low to render the fat so I can make sugna for the Berkshire Culatello. Once it reaches about 22.5% weight loss, I will apply sugna to all the meat surfaces on the casing after scrubbing with vinegar.

Yes, will take up a lot of space; but I am single so I don't need approval from anyone on where I put it in the house. Will have to come through the front door and it'll be in the living room....right where the tv use to be....LOL!

Last edited:
I had to look up "sugna"
I would be lazy and just use rendered lard.
Yes, will take up a lot of space; but I am single so I don't need approval from anyone on where I put it in the house. Will have to come through the front door and it'll be in the living room....right where the tv use to be....LOL!
Delivered a gun safe to a guy many years ago. That thing was huge and heavy and went right in the living room. He was divorced so answered only to himself.

I had to look up "sugna"
I would be lazy and just use rendered lard.
Well....the problem with using 100% lard is that it seals in the moisture. This is what they use on the end of salami after they have finished cutting what they need, then rehang for future use. The addition of the rice flour allows the moisture to escape slowly. Also, the salt prevents the fat from pulling salt out of the meat. And the pepper was added to keep the flies and bugs away.

Last edited:
I so envy being able to put it where it goes. People can put gun racks in the living room, why not a sausage drying chamber. And what good is a tv anyway. It all depends on who comes over, if they want a tv, they picked the wrong friend

Making sausage is my next major project. I doubt it will be in the living room. I don't have the cajones to even make the request.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky