Why no chunks in MB Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
One of my first posts on SMF was why can't you use wood chunks in the MasterBuilt Pro smoker. Someone replied that they use them all the time with no problems. I found out today why they're not recommended and count myself lucky that I was paying attention.

Decided to smoke a half-dozen turkey legs and chose to use the apple chunks for the smoke. I soaked them for a couple of hours while I was getting everything else ready. I'm using propane for this round.

When the temp reached 250, I added the wood, put in the legs, and went about prepping my chicken wings. I was watching thru the kitchen window and everything looked good. Nicellittle pillar of smoke

A few minutes later I came out to find my smoker at 350°! Opened the fire door and the wood chunks were ablaze! The smaller pieces had turned to ash but 4 thicker chunks were going to town.

Fortunately I'd caught it before too much damage was done. The legs were only at 105° but suffice it to say that RTDM (and listen to it) is the way to go!

Happy 4th!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky