Why Is Propane Getting a Bad Rep?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Tastey

Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Va
So I use a cheap propane smoker nothing fancy but have made some great tasting food from it and would love one day to move to a stick burner and maybe BBQ competitions. My question is why do most competitions say no propane smokers allowed but electric is fine? I see a lot of guys on here have electric and it's easier and the "cool" new thing but to me in a competition that would be closer to untraditional and use of a crutch then propane! Sorry, maybe I've completely missed the mark with this if so hopefully someone can help me.

Didn't know most competitions say no to propane. It might be due to risk, same reason why stores say no to propane tanks being brought into their store.

I'd never get a pellet or electric smoker but they seem hugely popular. I love my propane smoker and the high heat it can generate on demand.

Didn't know most competitions say no to propane. It might be due to risk, same reason why stores say no to propane tanks being brought into their store.

I'd never get a pellet or electric smoker but they seem hugely popular. I love my propane smoker and the high heat it can generate on demand.
A lot of the competitions I looked at said it could only be used for initial starter and then has to be disconnected. Again, maybe it's just the ones I'm looking at.

I too love my propane smoker. I basically cook with wood, but use the propane to moderate the temp. swings. I like the instant response to either lower or raise the temp. in the smoke chamber with the turn of a dial. I also love the fact that I can adjust the BTU's by closing off some of the jets. Makes smoking sausages 100-170* a breeze and stepping the temps. up super simple.

I agree with solman- probably due to explosion risk and insurance for the event that propane is not allowed.

A lot of the competitions I looked at said it could only be used for initial starter and then has to be disconnected. Again, maybe it's just the ones I'm looking at.

I can see how they would permit propane to be used to start a wood or charcoal fire, but not as a smoker. The risk I see is that the flame may go out during an extended smoke and no one notices, gas builds up in the smoker, creates a bomb waiting to be lit.

It baffles me that all propane smokers don't come with a safety shutoff. It's such a simple and cheap thing to add.

I have an electric MES for sausage, a charcoal WSM/Guru setup for over night cooks, a Lang 36 patio for relaxing smokes.
But I also have a propane Smoke Vault 24 that I use more than the other 3 combined. It is just too easy to use & clean up is quick, the smoke flavor is very good & I can get it going, ready for food in about 5 minutes. It has been my go to smoker for years!
Al

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky