Whole Chicken smoked w/ qviews

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rare2medium

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
SouthEast PA
Over the summer my friend Jeff and his wife stopped by as Trish and I were out on the deck eating a whole chicken I made in the smoker that day. They had already eaten but Jeff tried it and loved it. Months later they were coming over to our house for a New Years eve night of fun and I though what a great idea it would be to make him a smoked whole chicken, seal it up in a heavy clear vacuum packed bag and gift wrap it and hand him this odd shape "warm" wrapped gift. Turned out to be a great "gift".

Started off with a whole 6lb fresh chicken, got it on sale for $1/lb. Overnight I let it soak in basic salt & water brine. Next day I put on some basic rub on the outside (SPOG) and on the inside I stuffed the cavity with some left-over shallots and thyme I had from a prime rib roast I was making for dinner. Put it in the MES w/ Pecan wood at 240. Added the Maverick temp probe later and waited till it got to 165. Did it on the rack, above a pan, flipped it once. A few hours later took the hot bird out, let it cool down for a few minutes and put it in the FoodSaver and vacuum sealed it and gift wrapped it.

"What the heck is this, it's, it's warm?" .........            "IT'S A SMOKE CHICKEN !!!"  :)

Yes, my friend loved it. He didn't share any with his wife over the next few days !

(crap, I just noticed a typo on the last pic, he said "It's a smoked chicken" (not smoke chicken). Oh well.)

Yes, my friend loved it. He didn't share any with his wife over the next few days !

(crap, I just noticed a typo on the last pic, he said "It's a smoked chicken" (not smoke chicken). Oh well.)
yea if you smoked it it would have to been pretty dry or you would have never have kept it lit.
a42.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky