Whole Chicken / Pop's brine with Lemon extract

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Freezer is packed with beef , Son called said they had whole chickens at work . Had him grab two . Froze one , the other went into a low salt version of Pop's brine , with lemon extract added .
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS cure #1
1/2 tsp lemon extract
In 1 gallon of water .
Brined 24 hours . Pulled , rinsed and in fridge for a couple hours to dry skin .
Set up the 26 " Weber with the baskets . Son wanted to do beer can chicken . So I drank the beer , added about 2 " of boiling water in the can with minced onions , pepper corns and some garlic .
I like my birds tied up , but been awhile for the stand so what the heck . Have to say the liquid smelled great .
Out of the brine , ready to dry out a bit .
20200524_140849.jpg
After a couple hours in the fridge , I added the liquid and spice to the can ,
Put on the chicken . Tied the wings up , grills ready to go .
20200524_155252.jpg
Rain moving in , but was sunny and hot all day , so the cloud cover was welcome .
26 " Weber running along on a day to remember .
20200524_162620.jpg
Best damn dog ever . Always watching .
Never any trouble from her . Ever .
20200524_165330.jpg
Said above , I like to tie my birds . Just don't like the road kill look .
Skin was fantastic .
20200524_174900.jpg 20200524_174904.jpg
Broke down . Thighs still on the bird , to be pulled later .
Both legs , breast halves off the ribs , couple wing sections , and the breast trim closest
to the rib cage .
20200524_175554.jpg
And a special treat for sawhorseray sawhorseray
Just for you buddy ,
Those are so good to chew on .
20200524_175601.jpg
Breast sections cross cut ,

20200524_175717.jpg
Son made the shredded potato's from whole spuds , not frozen '
and fresh garlic / lemon green beans . With take and bake bread .
He does a great job .

Daughters plate ,
20200524_175801.jpg

My plate .
20200524_180006.jpg
This was a great supper . Everything was fantastic .
The chicken in the brine with the lemon extract is so good .
A hint of lemon , and so juicy , it's just awesome .
Thanks for lookin ,

Looks might tasty chop!!! I’m doing a couple of chickens this week and hope they turn out that good!

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks might tasty chop!!! I’m doing a couple of chickens this week and hope they turn out that good!
Thanks bud . If you brine , try the lemon extract if you like the citrus flavor .
LOL , looks like the lid was touching the top of the bird . Oh well , she was good !

I will have to try the lemon as I do like citrus in birds....

It had a top hat on in prep for dinner!!! Lol.....

I will have to try the lemon as I do like citrus in birds....
1/2 tsp lemon extract ( baking isle ) to 1 gallon water is max for me . Its good . I tried lemon slices , whole lemons ,, they got nasty in the brine . The extract works great .

Reactions: civilsmoker
Wow, that looks really good chopsaw. Just curious, what is the purpose of the cure?
That's the Pop's brine formula . Short term it adds flavor , longer soak time you get a full cured bird .
Pop's brine on poultry is really hard to beat .

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
Fine looking meal! I'll have to try the Limon extract. Ive tried lemon slices too with no luck. Almost like the acid wants to do some weird stuff to the bird. Best luck ive had is with lemon pepper seasoning.

Looks great Chop. I did a beer can chicken today too. I’ll have to try brining in Pops brine. I’ve used it to do Disney legs but never a short brine just to add flavor.

Truly a fantastic piece for work Rich, bigtime Like! I've never done a beer can bird, tho I have cured many with Cure#1 and smoked them to where they've got a ham flavor and color. I believe what you did with the shorter curing time and cooking method lends itself to being far better on a plate than my previous efforts, mine turned out more suited for chicken salad. Bookmarked, my wife loves lemon yardbird, this is something I'll be doing soon, thank you! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
Chop, morning.... Is the meat missing the pink cured color or what... Anywho, just thinking about the acid in the lemon and destruction of nitrite...

Wow this looks good! Gonna have to try this!
Awesome job!!!
Thanks for the comment . Not the best looking bird I've done , but it sure eats good .
Fine looking meal!
Thanks . Try the extract , I think you'll like it .
Looks great Chop. I did a beer can chicken today too. I’ll have to try brining in Pops brine. I’ve used it to do Disney legs but never a short brine just to add flavor.
I've gone longer , but I like the 24 / 48 hour inject and soak . I didn't inject this one , but usually do .
I always cook the chickens at 300 plus no matter how long it was in the brine . This was done in 1 1/2 hours .
Thanks for looking

Bookmarked, my wife loves lemon yardbird,
Ray thanks for the comments . I think you'll be happy with this . I've done several test with this .
The magic number for me is 1/2 tsp per gallon . I worked up to that though . You may want to start with less .

That's one fine looking bird
Thanks for the comment , looks good cut up any way . LOL.

Love pops brine on chicken. Nice job. Lemon on order.
Be a good cook for the new Rec-tech .
Thanks for looking .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky