Whole bunch of firsts for me tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

egledhill

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Got a whole bunch of firsts for me tomorrow

Been wanting ribs for a while now and weathers supposed to be in the high 40s tomorrow so I thought I'd give a try at my first baby back rib smoke

Heard a lot about plowboys yardbird rub so I ordered a bottle. First time using it
Cracked the seal off the bottle and got em rubbed down
Ordered in a load of peach wood from fruita woods so first time using peach
Finally, got a little help controlling temp this time around
YEAH BUDDY!!! Gonna fire it up around noon doing 2-2-1 at 230ish

I'll keep yinz posted

Wishing you the best on that cook !!! Pittsburgh is too far so just fedex me a few ribs :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing the results and hearing about how good they are

Just dropped on the wsm

Caesar salad and baked beans for sides is what I'm thinking. Got a bakery just down the road for me that makes an amazing little piece of heaven called "The Oakmonter"
whipped cream cherry and Hershey chocolate in top, under that is chocolate icing, under that is chocolate cake, under that is a thick layer of chocolate fudge, and finally a cheesecake base. It's unreal!

Dang nab it man you are killing me it is not even lunch time here and you are posting this LOL 

Them theres look good. I'm in. 
popcorn.gif

Hit the 2 hour mark, foiled with a mix of apple juice/apple cider vinegar, turbinado sugar, honey, and butter. Snapped a quick pic before wrapping the one
Colors looking great and they're smelling amazing!

Dang it!!!! If you change your mind let me know I may throw in some STORE bought hot dogs LOL 

They sure do look good 

Nice post 

And that's a wrap! Pulled them off an let them rest for 15 while I got the sides ready. Couldn't have been happier on how they turned out

Smoke ring was nice

And the final product
Dinner was great. Actually didn't leave room for dessert so the oakmonter is staying in the fridge

So for my firsts:
Baby backs: tasty but for almost double the price and less meat, I'll stick with spares. Honestly I didn't think they were any better than spares.

Plowboys yardbird: I dig it. Gonna try it on a butt and a chicken. I like it just as much as my rubs and it saves me the hassle of having to mix so it's a win for me.

Peach wood: this is a push. I used a hickory/apple combo on the first rib smoke I ever did and I thought the smoke flavor was more pronounced. Wife doesn't like the strong smoke flavor so these were more up her alley.

BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2: couldn't be happier with it. It literally was set it and forget it. Temp stayed at 230-235 the entire time. Sure it was only a 5 hour smoke and I could've tended to the smoker and kept temps around that range, but it made it a hell of a lot easier. I can't wait to try brisket and pork butt with it. I have a feeling that's where it's gonna shine.

Thanks for following folks

Last edited:
  Congrats on a successful smoke! Glad the plan came together. I prefer St Lois cut ribs myself. Much as I hate to admit it, I was looking forward to pics of that sliced cake!
biggrin.gif
 But then, that might be over the top!

Mike

Congrats on a successful smoke! Glad the plan came together. I prefer St Lois cut ribs myself. Much as I hate to admit it, I was looking forward to pics of that sliced cake! :biggrin:  But then, that might be over the top!

Mike
Lucky for you I'm a chubby guy who hates to disappoint.

Behold, THE OAKMONTER!!!

Looks like you did a great job on those ribs!

I usually get my ribs at Costco they are usually 2.99lb for BB and 2.69lb for spares. so really not a big price difference, but I agree if they were double the price I would get the spares too...

Cake looks amazing!

Those ribs look fantastic!  I'm going to have to check out the Yardbird rub.

Thanks for posting!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky