Whitetail "Hind Quarter", how do I smoke this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scootermagoo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Algoma, WI
I have a friend that want me to smoke the "hind quarter" of a deer.  I am not sure what the hind quarter includes, but I am assuming it is the pork equivalent of a ham.  Isn't deer a little too lean for smoking?  Do I inject, rub?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Awesome, thanks. 

You know, I have to apologize.  I should have searched the forum myself, I'm a dumb ass.
icon_redface.gif

The first thing I would find out is it the whole hind quarter with the bone and everything or are all of the cuts of meat already removed. I personally wouldn't ever smoke a whole hind quarter I always remove each cut of meat and then do what I please with each individual cut but I've seen people smoke the whole quarter if you wanted  to go that route.

Thanks for the research Woodcutter.  It's something I've been meaning to do for a while. I got some venison from the in-laws and was looking for ideas on the bigger parts. Thanks!

When I used to get to hunt, I would just rub it down with a good butt rub and put it on the grill. At the time I was using a Weber kettle grill and charcoal with some Pecan wood. I never had a problem with it drying out. It was always just as tender and juicy as you could hope for it to be. I have found that equal parts of black pepper, salt, and garlic powder makes a fine rub for red meat especially. You can omit the garlic if you want to. 

I have smoked whole hind quarters and shoulders.I do both the same way.I rub them with a mixture of salt,pepper,garlic or whatever looks interesting.I let it sit overnight in a cooler or the fridge.I smoke it at 200 degrees with apple wood for approx 3-4 hours,then I put it in foil and dump a southern mustard based sauce on it and loosely wrap it in foil and put it back in for another 3-4 hours.It all depends on the size of the deer.It gets really good all of my buddies bring me one of their quarters to smoke.When it's all done I make another batch of sauce and shred the meat like pulled pork and mix in the sauce.It is really good.

Sauce.1/4 cup of cheap yellow mustard

1/4 cup of honey

1/4 cup of vinegar I usually use white but cider is also good

1/'4 cup of brown sugar

Mix together and put on the stove and stir until it's all blended.I add crused red pepper to it for a little more flavor.

I like to take my hind quarter and COVER it in maple syrup and brown syrup than cut slits in it and put bacon in the slits and cook it as long as I can,the last time I smoked a HQ I started it at 5:30 am and finished it at 3:00 am the next day I  use red plum,peach,pecan,hickory,wood and black walnuts to smoke with but i would leave out the walnuts because they overpowered the meat,I am actually going to get up at the same time tommorow and put another one on the smoker.

good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky