Whiskey Barrel- Need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

winsa12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
I built this last summer, but was never able to get the temp to stay low enough (I was hoping for 225-250). I think its getting too much air from the slats shrinking, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
IMG_7172.JPG
IMG_7167.JPG

Reactions: Walchit
How about filling it with water between smokes. I have a couple oak barrels for aging homemade liquor and when not holding good stuff I fill them with water to keep them tight.

I would line it with a piece of 1/16" steel pipe and use the barrel just for show on the outside.... or have a piece of 1/16"plate rolled and seam welded.....

I don't know India. Filling it with water would make the wood swell up, but the heat from cooking would dry it out real fast. Not sure if you could stay ahead of the game.
You could try a high temp silicone on the inside where it wouldn't show.
Gary

I've heard of pulling some water in them when not using them, but i have 2 issues there.
1. The gaps are too big, it would be a long process
2. I wasn't paying attention on one of my test smokes and lit the bottom of the barrel on fire. It happens. I cut out a circle from some plywood and pounded it into place. That part is really not watertight.

I started reading the UDS subforum, I am pretty sure the gaps are causing the fluctuations. I also need to build a new ash pan and fire box from expanded metal. I thought of a high temp silicone, but I really didn't want that near my food. I think I am going to rip some slivers of something flexible, get them wet and cram them into the cracks and staple them in place. Who knows.

If that doesn't work I'll sell someone the kit- hinge, chain, exhaust (I think it came from a Chevrolet), firebox and grate and my wife can turn the barrel into a plant box on the porch.

The idea was originally to have a hot (225, maybe more) that was unique, looked cool and worked well. Now I have a pellet grill, so this has turned into a project I don't want to give up on.

The thought has crossed my mind to make this a cold smoker...

can you cover the seams with thin wooden strips somehow on the inside, maybe with small screws, that might help with air links

can you cover the seams with thin wooden strips somehow on the inside, maybe with small screws, that might help with air links
Or aluminum flashing. I would not recommend galvanized flashing in a smoker.
Could also use 2~3" wide strips of 1/4" hardiboard (concrete board) with high temp silicon behind it... I recommend predrilling the holes to depth so you don't drill through to the outside of the barrel. Predrilling will help keep the planks from cracking during repeated heating cycles...
Hardiboard is pretty inexpensive....5'X3' sheet should be plenty. Just wear a dust mask when cutting with a sharp carpet knife and a straight edge...cut 1/2 through and then you can just pop it off, but put a board against the drop piece so you apply even pressure and it snaps off as one piece.

I agree with filling it with water. This process will take a few days for the wood to expand. It is possible that it's to far gone to come back. If it does come back a whiskey barrel will require a bit more maintenance and should be filled every 4 months depending on use.
I would advise fire brick in the bottom and fill the spots that are left open with unscented floor dri. Make sure it's pure clay with no additives. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky