Which pellets leave less ash...????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slater

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Question with all the ash these pellets produce.
My local san diego pelletgrillsgalore carries both lumberjack & GMG pellets.
Theys say their #1 sellers is the texas mix in GMG brand, ive used it many times.
Dont know if its all in my imagination but questioning if it produces significant more ash biproduct compared to the 1 bag of lumberjack pellets ive used.
I cant remember if the Lumberjack was hickory or Supreme blend.
Thoughts?
Experiences?
Only reason I ask is if one burn cleaner / less ash, = longer time span between vac-outs & less overall ash / cleaner burning is a bonus...
Thanks for the insight!

The higher BTU woods burn cleaner (more complete burn) and should leave less ash. Oak and Hickory being two high BTU woods off the top of my head....
That response doesnt help my questionable perceived observation as GMG texas mix is: blend of Black Oak, American Hickory, and a hint of Texas Mesquite.......

Last edited:
If you imagine that the GMG pellets leave more ash than Lumberjack by observation, then it’s probably true. LJ pellets are widely concidered top line pellets. Perhaps your guru pellet salesman has steered you towards an inferior pellet in an attempt to move unsold inventory. Just my thought. Right now I’m experiencing excellent flavor, color and low ash from Bear Mountain Gormet Blend.

Any pellet made with alder wood as the main ingredient then add the flavor wood is going to be more ash. That said, GMG Gold, Lumber Jack, and Pellet Head along with Bear Mountain pellets, are all very high quality pellets. I’ve cooked extensively with all of these, and can say that I usually run the GMG Gold, but will run the others upon availability. Traeger pellets suck. As do Pit Boss.

If you imagine that the GMG pellets leave more ash than Lumberjack by observation, then it’s probably true. LJ pellets are widely concidered top line pellets. Perhaps your guru pellet salesman has steered you towards an inferior pellet in an attempt to move unsold inventory. Just my thought. Right now I’m experiencing excellent flavor, color and low ash from Bear Mountain Gormet Blend.
thats not the case, gmg texas is their #1 seller for sure & they carry it on the regular, It moves & they re-stock all the time. They claim strong smoke flavor as we all know pg's are known for lack of so the texas mix helps with flavor....
hes not feeding me a line to move product the doesnt move, have lots of friends that buy those pellets from him...
But they really dont think about things much so asking them would be pointless..."my friends that is"

I have used Traeger, Lumber Jack, and Bear Mountain pellets. In my experience, the LJ pellets leave much less ash and a finer ash.

I've used a number of brands and by far, BBQer's Delight consistently leaves less ash in my MAK than any of the others.

Last edited:
The biggest factor in ash production is the temp you cook at, the higher the temp the less ash you will have, and the lower the temp more least ways that's how it works in mine

I would think the species of wood would matter more than brand but that is my opinion.

Just bought a 40lb bag of Lumberjack competition blend, see how that goes...
Not like ash / waste is a huge deal, was just an observation & was just intrigued to see if I was onto something..

Bear mountain is excellent stuff. Wish I could get it easier

Reactions: SlickRockStones
When I switched from Lumberjack to CookinPellets, the ash was about half the amount or less. I was very surprised.

Any of the premium pellets, that don't use the tree bark in their pellets, will leave less ash than the others. Cooking pellet brand does not use the bark when they make their pellets and have less ash than the Lumber Jack, that I prefer. I think using the bark gives the pellets more flavor than not using it, even though it means a little more ash. I have tried almost all of the different pellet brands, available both local and online and found I prefer the Lumber Jack brand the best.

Reactions: RCAlan and Steff3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky