Which pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats on the Silverbac! I've been looking and liking but not sure the mayor will release the extra funds! I'll just have to submit it on the preferred list and see what happens which one she picks

Well got to cook this weekend on it after seasoning it last week. Had it lit from about 9 am to little after 6 pm and was completely blown away. Initial fire up ran 20 degreed hot for just a second then settled back in to my set temp of 250 and held it within 10 degrees all day. Was maybe 35 degreed here and I opened it up to put 16 lbs of Boston butts on and within 3 minutes it was right back to temp really amazing. Smoke ring and flavor were amazing and I was skeptical during cook because of lack of heavy smoke but I think ring was stronger then my stick burner flavor was as strong but not as bitter. Really don't have a bad thing to say yet

I owned a Traeger for 5 years. The issues I had were:

Occasional burn back into the auger tube when done with the cook. It actually started the hopper pellets on fire once.

I always covered it when not being used, but after the 2nd year, large patches of paint peeled and left rust patches to repaint.

The fan motor froze after the 2nd season. Replaced it.

The heat rod would not ignite the pellets unless I shined it up with steel wool every couple of months.

During the winter, top temp was about 300f.

Still, this is the smoker that brought me to love smoked brisket, pulled pork, pizza, smoked turkey, and many weeknight dinners. I eventually was able to buy a Yoder 640 and love it. I donated the Traeger to my young next door neighbor, who repainted it and is now an avid smoke cooker too.

I agree with kruizer, Camp Chef looks like a good smoker- grill.

was the Yoder 640 worth the $$$$s? be interested to hear if it is THAT much better than these others.

was the Yoder 640 worth the $$$$s? be interested to hear if it is THAT much better than these others.
It was to me. The thing is built like a tank. Have never had a problem with it. What I like most is the ability to go from 160 to 600 degrees in about 15 minutes.

That being said, it is very expensive, especially when you add most of the options like shelves, insulated cover, and competition cart. But I have no doubt this unit will outlast me and will probably be passed down to my son in law or grandson.

WOO HOO! Just got a text from the mayor telling me to order my new Silverbac for Christmas! That about put a tear in my eye. You know what I'm doing when I finish up the current work project!!

That's awesome your gonna love it I been more impressed every time I use mine

Congrats on the new Silverbac smoker. I hope it serves you well. I too was overwhelmed when I started looking at pellet smokers/grills. There are hundreds of makes and models. Sometimes we can have too many choices I think.

As far as the Yoder YS640? I'm gonna agree with Scott. I've owned mine for over 6 months and any buyers remorse I had for the money I spent has long passed. This tank will get it done. It's perfect for me and today I am very happy. I hope I'll still be singing it's praise down the road....... From low & slow to "git 'er done" this cooker will get you there and holds set temp remarkably well. The flavor we get from cooking with wood is amazing. Who knew this could be so easy? Pellet cookers rock!

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
If I wasn't pushin a half century I'd say I feel like a kid at Christmas! I'm only a couple hours away from their place and wishin I had time to go pick it up. But I guess that gives me lots of time to visit the local butcher.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky