which book for Xmas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am looking for a smoking\BBQ book for a Xmas gift. This is for an advanced smoker so no beginner guides. 😆

I would love to hear your suggested reads.

Thanks.

JC :emoji_cat: :emoji_cat:

I am looking for a smoking\BBQ book for a Xmas gift. This is for an advanced smoker so no beginner guides. 😆

I would love to hear your suggested reads.

Thanks.

JC :emoji_cat: :emoji_cat:
Absolutely has to be Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" When a serious chef opens a new restaurant, Lang is the guy they call to develop the meat side of their menu. Mezzo in Los Angeles hired him to develop their menu. I know one of the new big places in Vegas did also but, can't remember off hand which one it is.

I have found I pick very little up out of the bbq books that I’ve grabbed. Much of the info seems to be rehash of everyone else’s stuff. Another thing to consider would be a book outside bbq with concepts that can apply. Salt, fat, acid, heat by Samin Nosrat is on my list to purchase.

Reactions: JC in GB
Aaron Franklin's book because its a great and entertaining read. Only has like 12 recipes in the whole thing but talks technique, building smokers, crafting bbq, and all his entertaining stories of how he figured it all out just like we all do.
Totally surprising and amazingly enjoyable read... plus he covers how to make amazing brisket :)

Mixon gets my vote. Another contender is Gillespie's Secrets to WSM and I don't even have a WSM. If the person is advanced enough I might suggest branchning out and try Marianski to get into sausage etc.

Absolutely has to be Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" When a serious chef opens a new restaurant, Lang is the guy they call to develop the meat side of their menu. Mezzo in Los Angeles hired him to develop their menu. I know one of the new big places in Vegas did also but, can't remember off hand which one it is.
I have found I pick very little up out of the bbq books that I’ve grabbed. Much of the info seems to be rehash of everyone else’s stuff. Another thing to consider would be a book outside bbq with concepts that can apply. Salt, fat, acid, heat by Samin Nosrat is on my list to purchase.
Aaron Franklin's book because its a great and entertaining read. Only has like 12 recipes in the whole thing but talks technique, building smokers, crafting bbq, and all his entertaining stories of how he figured it all out just like we all do.
Totally surprising and amazingly enjoyable read... plus he covers how to make amazing brisket :)
Mixon gets my vote. Another contender is Gillespie's Secrets to WSM and I don't even have a WSM. If the person is advanced enough I might suggest branchning out and try Marianski to get into sausage etc.

Some great choices. Aaron Franklin's book is what I am leaning toward but I am going to check out the other books a bit more in depth.

Thanks for your help.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: tallbm
I'd vote for one of the older ones. Mike Mills Peace, Love, and BBQ.
I think I have all the popular books people recommend on here including adam Perry Lang’s serious bbq and Aaron franklins book and love both of them. I don’t have peace, love and bbq though but it’s on my Christmas list.

Great book. Just was given a second copy of it.

you don't need to spend money on the book... Just ask me... in 40 yrs or so I have so many advanced meat smoke fukups to tell you how not to do it... lol
rest of " how to do it properly " you will find here just by asking a question... is it even possible to give URL as a gift?

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky