Where to buy Kingsford comp and their other speciality briquets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I just got off the phone with a Costco rep who told me they are not going to carry Kingsford comp briquets in future.
This is really bad news for me as I am addicted to it for searing steaks and burgers.
Wally shows it on their site but the price is jacked up to the max and the bag size is limited to 12 lbs.
Academy sports is also a no-go.
I visited the Kingsford site but they don't offer any charcoals to the consumer.

1580847233306.png

I'm glad you like their stuff, last time I bought their lump it smelled like burning plywood.
Are you an ex-Kingsford comp user who switched?

I thought you were talking about briquettes, not lump?
I have tried every kind of the K brand and RO is my preference.
I'd go so far as to say it is the preferred briquette among SMF'ers that routinely use briquettes,or more accurately, more poundage of RO is burned by members than any other brand.

My .02

Switch to RO Ridge (or Embers, Walmart Expert Grill, Winco store brand, Safeway store brand). They are ALL the exact same thing, burn just as hot as KBB or KComp, without any smell and last longer. Try one bag. They take a little longer to come up to temp because they are a denser briquette than anything Kingsford makes. You can actually use less of the RO due to the density (more fuel).

A test I did on KBB vs RO. This test was actually performed on the Kingsford formula prior to the one currently on the streets. I had noticed several negative changes to the Kingsford performance in the smoker for KBB and Comp, and went looking for another briquette. Tried RO and haven't looked back.

I thought you were talking about briquettes, not lump? I have tried every kind of the K brand and RO is my preference.
I'd go so far as to say it is the preferred briquette among SMF'ers that routinely use briquettes,or more accurately, more poundage of RO is burned by members than any other brand. My .02

I agree, you can add my 2¢ to that. RAY

If you have some sort of stigma against nst RO, try Weber brand briquettes. Also very good and you can feel better knowing you paid up.

That sounds like me tossing shade, but I promise I'm not. Lots of folks LOVE Weber brand briqs.

I'm also a converted RO user. It's all I'll use.

If you have some sort of stigma against nst RO, try Weber brand briquettes. Also very good and you can feel better knowing you paid up.

That sounds like me tossing shade, but I promise I'm not. Lots of folks LOVE Weber brand briqs.

I'm also a converted RO user. It's all I'll use.

Stigma yes, but back to the original question, where can I find what I'm looking for, which includes the new Kingsford wood flavored briquets?
I tried a bunch of charcoals a few years ago when I started using Kamado, both lump and briquet, and the Kingsford pro comp grade is IMHO the best available for close hot char on steaks and burgers.
I would love to try the new hardwood and other wood types but since I can't find the pro/comp stuff I guess I'll suck wind.

I just got off the phone with a Costco rep who told me they are not going to carry Kingsford comp briquets in future.
This is really bad news for me as I am addicted to it for searing steaks and burgers.
Wally shows it on their site but the price is jacked up to the max and the bag size is limited to 12 lbs.
Academy sports is also a no-go.
I visited the Kingsford site but they don't offer any charcoals to the consumer.

Did you check Ace Hardware? I think I've seen the Kingsford Professional there before. Online it shows they carry them too.

My Costco still has a full pallet of the Kingsford Professional that they can't seem to get rid of, although I've bought a few bags in the past and thought it was decent stuff.

Edit: Just realized you're talking about Kingsford 'Competition' not 'Professional' briquets. I'm not sure of the difference..

Last edited:
The old version said both on the bag.
If you do a price check on it at Lowes, Ace, etc.. the Costco double bag version is a steal.
They also now make various hardwood versions and a "long burning" offering for Kamado and gravity feeders.
All are available but not from one source and the prices are astronomical, hence the Costco envy.

The old version said both on the bag.
If you do a price check on it at Lowes, Ace, etc.. the Costco double bag version is a steal.
They also now make various hardwood versions and a "long burning" offering for Kamado and gravity feeders.
All are available but not from one source and the prices are astronomical, hence the Costco envy.

The exclusivity of how things are packaged and sold at Costco are what makes Costco unique. Good luck in your search.

I am Kingsford all the way but they have a plant in Burrel, WV that makes the char and then a plant in Parsons, WV that makes the charcoal. I like the taste better myself of Kingsford anyway!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky