Where to buy bulk wood ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timlarmer

Original poster
Where do you guys find bulk wood for your smokers ? I’m in So Cal and can only seem to find just the small chunks in bags like at Home Depot or LOWES .. I really like to find some larger pieces .. any advice is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys

I do my own up. But am relegated to using oak. I started selling some last year had a couple guys with bbq business hit me up
55EBA75A-DF6F-4E4A-BE9A-7FC9F0CFA675.jpeg
06694317-C446-4F15-BB24-D240EC792E2F.jpeg

Thanks guys.nobody seems to have wood for smoking like Hickory, Apple,Mesquite stuff like that. Just firewood like pine , oak , some eucalyptus and for woods for heating is all I seem to find. I guess it’s lowes or HD for now. Thanks again

Do you have any orchards in the area. I get some of my apple wood from the local orchard when they prune their trees.

Chris

I found a wood supplier on craigslist. find someone with a landscaping type business i bet they will have firewood. i have my guy cut his firewood small and split it an extra time to my liking. I pay a little extra but its worth what i get. I get a pick up load from him about every 6 months.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

You can try to contact some tree removal services in your area and ask them what they do with their wood. I happened by one company while they were cutting down an oak tree, and they gave me all the wood that I wanted.

Probably will find some hardwood for fuel easy. Then you can buy a batch of the flavor woods to add to the fuel for extra flavor.
Big hardware store sells stuff like this.

IMG_20180514_143221.png

Do you have any orchards in the area. I get some of my apple wood from the local orchard when they prune their trees.

Chris

Yup---Orchards are the best places in PA for the Fruitwoods. And Trimming time is usually best (Fall).
And Firewood places is best for most of the Hardwoods, because nobody in PA would use any Softwoods for a Woodstove.

Bear

Oak is great to smoke with! Try craigslist, setup a search for the woods your looking for! I just scored a 55 gallon drum full of chunked up hickory on craigslist in my area, although still a little green but will dry quick. Plenty of maple and cherry for sale around here too but still looking for the free score, not a fan of paying for wood.

Anybody still here?

When looking for wood, do I have to be concerned if it was cut with a chainsaw? Does the blade oil do anything to the wood/affect the flavor? I thought I remembered hearing something a while ago about being able to taste the oil in the meat.

True or not?

Thanks!!!!!

I use a chainsaw on my wood when I use my barrel smoker, i've never tasted the oil from the blade.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm torn between a pellet smoker and a stick burner. That makes it a lot easier to find wood for the stick burner.

Thanks!

Anybody still here?

When looking for wood, do I have to be concerned if it was cut with a chainsaw? Does the blade oil do anything to the wood/affect the flavor? I thought I remembered hearing something a while ago about being able to taste the oil in the meat.

True or not?

Thanks!!!!!

Some Chainsaws are real hogs when it comes to Bar & Chain Oil.
I recommend you drain your reservoir, and fill it with cooking oil.
Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it's not there.
Some Parks make you do that if you cut in the Park.

Bear

I see you have Apple Valley listed as one location. There is a Bass Pro Shop In Cucamonga (yes, it actually exists!) that has some large bags of various woods. I get hickory there.

If you are willing to drive to Orange County there is a place called The Wood Shed that has a great selection of wood. They are off the 57 fwy near Angel Stadium. They started as a firewood place, but have expanded greatly. They run a BBQ team there but have lots of wood. Worth the drive, but I am weird and would drive 2 hours to look at BBQ wood. :emoji_sunglasses:

Although I have not tried it yet, there are a number of apple orchards in Julian. I want to make the drive to see if they sell, or give away, apple wood after the harvest/pruning.... Just not brave enough to walk up to a stranger and ask if they have wood.....

Some Chainsaws are real hogs when it comes to Bar & Chain Oil.
I recommend you drain your reservoir, and fill it with cooking oil.
Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it's not there.
Some Parks make you do that if you cut in the Park.

Bear
Most of the Federal and Minnesota State lands require veggie oil for the bar (not bear ...) lube. Plus side is you can save the chips, too.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm torn between a pellet smoker and a stick burner. That makes it a lot easier to find wood for the stick burner.

Thanks!
I'm a charcoal and stick burner. Quality charcoal adds a great flavor and nice bark when combined with stick to add more flavor.
If I have neutral stick than it replaces the charcoal, but requires more attention to feed the fire.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky