What’s with Rec Tec?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...and best IT when smoking completed to be able to slice? Not my first smoking however tend to do more BBR's and Pork Steaks than Briskets which tends to go straight from the smoker to the Table. I am seeing the "Resting Period". Does that mean it is served cold?

Thanks for the help.

PS. I just used two acronyms in my reply. Does that make me at least a Rookie Smoker?
I usually wrap in foil and place ina cooler cover the wrapped meat in towels in the cooler for a couple hours when pulled from the grill. If time allows.

Looking fantastic!

Thanks dubob.

I'm still working at it, but it's pouring outside.

IMG_1129.JPG

When it reached this temp point, I took it off. My Thermoworks Smoke's meat probe was at 200*. It is not pictured.

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_3868.JPG

So the brisket has been on for going into 13hrs at 225*. I could have cranked it up higher and finished earlier. I pulled it off at 10:54AM, so just a few minutes before the 13hr mark. This was an 8.5lb piece of meat before I trimmed some of the fat off of it. Nothing fancy about it, it is a choice brisket.

I flapped it open and poured off the jus.

IMG_7785.JPG

Then checked the temp and consistency. Was satisfied with both.

IMG_6737.JPG

Then let the fat start to separate to the top.

IMG_6479.JPG

And later brushed it down with a little of the jus.

IMG_2302.JPG

And tented it with foil to let it rest for a couple of hours.

IMG_8732.JPG

This way of course does soften the bark some. I can crisp it back up in the oven on broil for a few minutes if I like. But when it comes to moisture, I haven't gotten better results than with this method, and that's with trying Franklin's methods using butcher paper and others. This way, works for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Thanks everyone. It's time to cut it.

I folded back the foil and stuck it in the oven for about 10mins on broil to firm up the bark.

IMG_6517.JPG

And moved it to the cutting board leaving behind a little jus in the pan.

IMG_6793 2.JPG

And then the moment of truth. I know that you experienced guys know this, but you want to cut your brisket against the grain. If you cut it with the grain, it will be stringy and tough.

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

I'm liking it.

IMG_4640.JPG

But we'll add some of the jus to the cut pieces.

IMG_1722.JPG

just a few drops.

IMG_2967.JPG

And take a few more slices for the cook.

IMG_1897.JPG

The brisket tastes great. Just enough smoke flavor, tender flavorful and moist. Thanks everyone for taking a look. We went through about 13lbs of pellets by my estimate. But likely less. The Stampede has a 30lb hopper. It was full when I started, and it doesn't look like I'm anywhere near having lost approximately half of that.

My wife's GOT party is on. But the cook is going to go ahead and get started. Besides, he deserves it. He was up all night, tending a fire and playing around with vents to bring us this great tasting brisket....wasn't he?:emoji_blush:

I mean you saw for yourselves, he was out there with a blowtorch in the middle of the night trying to getting the fire started.

And then a thunderstorm blew in.

IMG_8047.JPG

The aftermath. This is a mix of CookinPellets Perfect Mix, Lumberjack 100% Hickory and some left over Rec Tec Ultimate Blend. The smoke tube had a 50/50 mix of A-Maze-N pecan and hickory pellets in it.

The smoker was clean when I started. I'll disassemble and look to see how much ash it left with this combination.

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky