WHATS YOUR "GO-TO" BURGER??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
mmm Burger. The American staple meal.
There isn't a bad burger, but there are many better ones?

Wife and I usually goes sans bun or bread at home, but she is the cheese fan and I go naked.
Grilled onions a must.
We are both patty melt fans

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I will have to go with a 80/20 chuck blend, no fat no flavor! Nice Brioche' roll or Martin's Potato roll. Coopers sharp American cheese is great or a good cheddar. Ketchup, lettuce, tomato, BB pickle chips and Hellman's mayo(Northeast thing). If I am in a sweet mood, Mirical whip salad dressing.
hellmans_real_mayo_website_family_pack_shot-1195573-png.png.ulenscale.270x270.png
GUEST_0eecb53b-f5ed-4129-9145-2cab1887442e

Mine is real easy for me, because we get our butcher to mix our Ground Venison into a mix of:
50% Venison
25% Pork (Butt)
25% 80/20 Beef

Then when we prep it (usually Mrs Bear) mixes about 3 TBS of Worchestershire Sauce with the 1.5 pound pack, and makes about 6 Patties.

Then when Grilling, I add one slice of Cheese (Provolone if we have it, American if we don't).

On the roll, I vary it from Jeff's BBQ Sauce, to Kraft Sandwich Spread, to Miracle Whip, to Yellow Mustard. I love them all. If I have a Garden Fresh slice of Tomato, it has to be Miracle Whip.

Bear

Mine is real easy for me, because we get our butcher to mix our Ground Venison into a mix of:
50% Venison
25% Pork (Butt)
25% 80/20 Beef

Then when we prep it (usually Mrs Bear) mixes about 3 TBS of Worchestershire Sauce with the 1.5 pound pack, and makes about 6 Patties.

Then when Grilling, I add one slice of Cheese (Provolone if we have it, American if we don't).

On the roll, I vary it from Jeff's BBQ Sauce, to Kraft Sandwich Spread, to Miracle Whip, to Yellow Mustard. I love them all. If I have a Garden Fresh slice of Tomato, it has to be Miracle Whip.

Bear
Bear, this I will have to try. Ive done several mixes with venison. Some good ....some not so good. What you have there sounds like a real good mix. And the Worcestershire will season a burger real nice. Thanks for sharing that. Its on my list to try out.

I sure love a lot of different burger combos. If I had to pick at go to it would start with either the local butchers fresh ground 80/20 or Savealot’s steak burger. They tell me that’s store ground sirloin at 80/20. I’d top it with Hoffman’s super Sharp and grilled onion. Seasoning would be garlic salt and pepper. I might hit it with a little mayo and Dukes is my go to as well.

I sure love a lot of different burger combos. If I had to pick at go to it would start with either the local butchers fresh ground 80/20 or Savealot’s steak burger. They tell me that’s store ground sirloin at 80/20. I’d top it with Hoffman’s super Sharp and grilled onion. Seasoning would be garlic salt and pepper. I might hit it with a little mayo and Dukes is my go to as well.
That sounds good to me! I like a really sharp cheese! And grilled onion is awesome!

Reactions: jcam222
We've been using the Kroger Private Selection 1/3 lb frozen angus patties. They are a little more pricey, between $8-$10 for a box of 6, but they are good. I heat my KJ up to 450-500 with the cast iron griddle accessory. 5 minutes on one side, flip and 4 mins on the other. Perfect. I usually shake on some Montreal seasoning. Top with baby swiss, sauteed mushrooms and onions. Toasted fresh bakery buns from Kroger. I also love this garlic mayo spread I got at Kroger as well. Delicious.
mayo.jpg

Last edited:
We've been using the Kroger Private Selection 1/3 lb frozen angus patties. They are a little more pricey, between $8-$10 for a box of 6, but they are good. I heat my KJ up to 450-500 with the cast iron griddle accessory. 5 minutes on one side, flip and 4 mins on the other. Perfect. I usually shake on some Montreal seasoning. Top with baby swiss, sauteed mushrooms and onions. Toasted fresh bakery buns from Kroger. I also love this garlic mayo spread I got at Kroger as well. Delicious.View attachment 433061
Mushroom and Swiss burger sounds real good! I bet that roasted garlic mayo is real good on one!I'll have to see if I can find some of that at our Kroger . could use that on a lot of things.

Reactions: bgaviator
It's super good. Takes mushroom swiss burgers to next level

Mushroom and Swiss burger sounds real good! I bet that roasted garlic mayo is real good on one!I'll have to see if I can find some of that at our Kroger . could use that on a lot of things.

Try adding Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix to your 80/20 meat. It will command rave reviews. I haven't been without that mix at my house in 20 years.

Try adding Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix to your 80/20 meat. It will command rave reviews. I haven't been without that mix at my house in 20 years.
Great idea! We have used it in meat loafs and also on crock pot roasts but never in burgers. May try it out!

Reactions: David Halcomb
My go to burger is also an 80/20 mix of chuck. I make then in 1/2lb patties and then I fold in some Weber KC BBQ seasoning. Almost out of this stuff. I may have to find a new seasoning. In any case, I always cook them to just past medium rare. There is some pink but not much. I top with two slices of thick cut Tilamook Swiss cheese. I serve them on a nice big farmhouse bun from our local grocery store and I just use thousand island for my special sauce. It's pretty messy with sauce and juice. I've been searing them lately over the vortex or over the Weber charcoal baskets and I like to use Royal Oak lump when I grill burgers. Every once in a while I will add some mesquite to the fire but mostly it's just the Royal Oak. Very simple burger but oh so delicious. When I feel really adventurous I will grill some sweet onions but that is pretty rare. Damn I really want a burger now.

G

Made burgers tonight. I think with the leftovers, I will add cheese, bacon, fried pickles, and ranch. Seems like a good recipe.
Id give it a try. Especially with the fried pickles!

My go to burger is also an 80/20 mix of chuck. I make then in 1/2lb patties and then I fold in some Weber KC BBQ seasoning. Almost out of this stuff. I may have to find a new seasoning. In any case, I always cook them to just past medium rare. There is some pink but not much. I top with two slices of thick cut Tilamook Swiss cheese. I serve them on a nice big farmhouse bun from our local grocery store and I just use thousand island for my special sauce. It's pretty messy with sauce and juice. I've been searing them lately over the vortex or over the Weber charcoal baskets and I like to use Royal Oak lump when I grill burgers. Every once in a while I will add some mesquite to the fire but mostly it's just the Royal Oak. Very simple burger but oh so delicious. When I feel really adventurous I will grill some sweet onions but that is pretty rare. Damn I really want a burger now.

G
That sounds real good to me. I like it simple. The burger the cheese and the sauce . then cooked over lump. Yep id say I'll take two but...that would be a whole lb of burger lol!

Smash Burgers on the griddle with nothing but American cheese and bacon on them are always a staple. Buttered toasted bun.

View attachment 432168

View attachment 432169
View attachment 432170

Also for something different I like to do these. Topped with boursin cheese, bacon, and a fried egg.
View attachment 432171
Agree! Has to be smash burger on the flattop. Super thin and crispy. Allows for more patties, more layers of cheese, and more seasoning and crust from the cooking. All I need is the cheese and maybe some grilled onion with a toasted bun!

Reactions: fullborebbq
We will sometimes take a tablespoon dab or so of goat cheese and form the party around it. Then pepper, garlic powder and some soy sauce go on the party before I grille it. The goat cheese makes a moist creamy center.

We will sometimes take a tablespoon dab or so of goat cheese and form the party around it. Then pepper, garlic powder and some soy sauce go on the party before I grille it. The goat cheese makes a moist creamy center.
The goat cheese sounds pretty good to me!

1.25-1.5lbs of 80/20 mixed with an egg, garlic salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dried onion flakes, some garlic powder and kirkland sweet mesquite seasoning. Form into patties, chill, then on the weber until done. Add a thin glaze of sauce when the crust has just started to form on them to add a little kick and top with american cheese and let it melt. Toasted bun, walla walla sweet onion, lettuce, maybe a tomato, mayo and ketchup. Thats all she wrote.
20180610_195454.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky