What to do with left over bones

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dobson156

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Hi all, I had a fantastic smoke session last night and smoked a couple racks of baby back ribs and a chicken (as well as some stuff without bones).

When I cook indoors I always keep chicken bones and make stocks from them which I then use in other recipes. I separate them out so I have like Jerk-chicken-stock, Thai-chicken-stock, Dark-chicken-stock (roast chicken) and blond-chicken-stock (from uncooked bones).

So if I can help it, I'd like to make use of the bones I've got from the ribs and chicken. I think, if it comes through, the smokey flavours would make a great stock of chillis and beans.

So, has anyone does this, are the results good?

Secondly, should I just put chicken and porks bones together and just make "smoked stock", or should I two different stocks separately?

Cheers.

I do use bones from smoked meats. Just keep in mind the smoke flavour will be intense. Even off putting for some. I usually use stock for soups, i like them smoky, but others don't. Won't be an issue if you make beans, chilli.

I wouldn't bother separating chicken and pork. I would remove bark and skin.

Great just what I want to hear.

> I would remove bark and skin

Haha I don't leave anything on bones!

Never used pork bones but I saved some beef rib bones I smoked mainly since they were so expensive. I added 1 to a lowly can of green beans heated and it was crazy good. Kids asked for seconds... Wife was not impressed however :emoji_laughing: Totally agree it would make good stock, especially bean soup.

I've made stock from the large plate rib bones that is really good. My favorite stock is to save blade bones from butts I grind for sausage, or buy pork neck bones and smoke them.
E2mUots.jpg

Then I use my pressure cooker to make pork stock either for green chili, stew or as the base for my pork butt injection. The meat is fine snacking too.
zrrSF87.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky