What to add to make sausage more tender

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I actually have already figured out how to make the patties but I might change up so I could do LARGE batches. The grain direction thing sounds like a plus. I could make a form to fit them in and freeze/slice but for now here is how I do them: Place 1/3 of the meat (24oz/1.5lb yes 18 burgers per pound...) into 1G bags and roll flat with a rolling pin and freeze. When cooking, cut the bag off and cut into 9 squares. Perfect size, also 3 bags yield 27 patties and GFS slider rolls are 24 per pack. Allows for a few doubles or mistakes. We did McD's Thursday as momma was sick so not jonesing for burgers.

As of late, I think there has to be some processing going on since I tried plain burger and they just fell apart. I am thinking 73/27 or 70/30 if I can find it GB and no seasoning BUT give it a good hand mix to extract some protein and improve bonding and proceed to patties. That is how I ended up emulsifying. Worked well but chewy like I said. We're getting somewhere I think!

Funny story, I would usually make a run for WC for my birthday back when there was one an hour away. People would ask how I was celebrating my birthday? I would say visit a few microbreweries in Cleveland area and dinner at Chateau D'Blanc (white castle in french and since I studied french so it sounds real legit). WOW, is it expensive? No, surprisingly cheap. LOL.

Are you making these as potential commercial venture, or just small batches for family use?

If it's small batches, I would try making the meat emulsion, form into the patties, freeze the patties, then vac pack and SV for a longer time at a lower temp than you would normally think is correct. Finish sear on a griddle, pan or grill. Perfect cook through out the meat, tender, great mouth feel, and yes the fat will likely render out more in the SV, but you will get an intense flavor in what ends up basically being a SV/Confit type cook (except it's not duck). If the patties are shrinking, just oversize them with the end size in mind.

Or you could make your emulsion and roll it into a "chub" in plastic wrap before freezing (freezing is mostly to set the shape berfore vac packing) and then vac pac to SV. It could be sliced easily once cooked. Thicker chub will take longer to SV though, but it's hard to over cook in a SV.

Thought I responded... SORRY. Small family batches for now but the dream is a diner of sorts.

Anyway, just wanted to post an update that did some last weekend. I went back to basics and did not add anything. That said, I did mix the GB well and got it nice and sticky and never have done that before. SUCCESS! No breaks, was nice and tender, and little shrinkage. I seasoned on the flat top. Best ever. Won't be too long and I will do a write up. Need to dial in the cheese yet.

Reactions: DanMcG
Thought I responded... SORRY. Small family batches for now but the dream is a diner of sorts.

Anyway, just wanted to post an update that did some last weekend. I went back to basics and did not add anything. That said, I did mix the GB well and got it nice and sticky and never have done that before. SUCCESS! No breaks, was nice and tender, and little shrinkage. I seasoned on the flat top. Best ever. Won't be too long and I will do a write up. Need to dial in the cheese yet.

That is awesome to hear!

I bet the mixing and working in of the salt was the issue. I know from personal experience.
If you experiment some more feel free to mix in seasonings EXCEPT salt and then add the salt while on the flat top and see what happens :emoji_wink:
I would bet money the texture turns out fantastic and the flavor is even better... it does so for me :emoji_laughing:

Let us know if you try and what you find out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky