What not to do with your smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
On the way home last week this is how the guys smokehouse looked. I’m pretty sure it was a fairly new build.
39F2E14E-1F00-4339-8797-52434A6EE65A.jpeg

I agree stupid place for all those propane tanks.
Also makes you wonder about hot smoking in wooden smokehouses

And that is the reason I lined my wood smokehouse with hardiboard. As the wood ages with repeated heat cycles, it does dry out. All it takes is one small ember to rise up from stoking the wood chunks and land on the wood....and you get an inferno. I also went one step further and lined with aluminum flashing.....and I never go above about 275*F. Usually 225-250*F when I hot smoke.

And that is the reason I lined my wood smokehouse with hardiboard. As the wood ages with repeated heat cycles, it does dry out. All it takes is one small ember to rise up from stoking the wood chunks and land on the wood....and you get an inferno. I also went one step further and lined with aluminum flashing.....and I never go above about 275*F. Usually 225-250*F when I hot smoke.

Did you do the ceiling with the hardiboard? I have the sides of mine done with it but not the ceiling I guess maybe I need to go it but I don't take mine over about 180

I think you are golden.
I just backer boarded my lower end and brick lined the floor. The top of mine where the meat hangs is just wood, but sheeting such as cdx is considered fire rated. Even in a house it is so. I don’t take mine past 225* and that’s rare. My box usually never exceeds 170*. I have steel cookers for the rest of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky