What is seasoned wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As a lot have stated it just means dry. I used to make my own Indian bows and I could drop my staves on the conrete floor and wet one thud and dry ones almost ring. You can hear the same tones with fire wood, but it is just not as loud and clear as it is shorter pieces of wood.

shown better here

Reactions: Displaced Texan
As a lot have stated it just means dry. I used to make my own Indian bows and I could drop my staves on the conrete floor and wet one thud and dry ones almost ring. You can hear the same tones with fire wood, but it is just not as loud and clear as it is shorter pieces of wood.

shown better here

Very cool, thanks. I just did that test. The hickory has the higher pitch sound.

Some woods dry faster than others. Many people swear you can't burn oak for two years and like three better. But cherry, hack berry and similar are ready in a year

Also, some wood supplier store wood in logs and it takes forever to dry. They tell you it is seasoned as its a year old, but its only been split out a couple weeks when you get it. Then it tends to be twice as wet as it would be if split last year. I cut my own so I know how it is.

Some woods dry faster than others. Many people swear you can't burn oak for two years and like three better. But cherry, hack berry and similar are ready in a year
My tree guy brought me some hickory. The tree, he said, had been cut down a few months ago.

The other hickory that I referred to above as high pitched, was delivered by a firewood supplier. I just have to trust that they have allowed the wood to season.

I'm willing to admit when it appears I am wrong. I am using this wood fro a brisket cook right now. Preheating the logs on my firebox, they are igniting quickly and producing glorious TBS.

IMG_8788.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky