What happened to my buckboard?? Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
I put some boned out butts in Pop's like normal and into the fridge for a week. I went to rinse them right now and there is this nasty, ghostbuster like slime all throughout the brine. It doesn't smell bad and the pork has nice color, but I have never seen anything like it..
Anyone know whats going on here? Is it ok to rinse thoroughly, fresh water soak then smoke?

20220926_093751 (1).jpg

After some quick research, I think I narrowed it down to the crappy brown sugar I used. I won't make that mistake again.

Wouldn't give it a moments worry. Rinse and smoke.
I get that sometimes with commercial hams. Customer wants a ham sliced and when I open the bag, the juices are all slimmy. Just rinse, slice and package it. Probably wouldn't hurt a thing not to rinse. It's more of a appearance thing.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
20220926_200041.jpg

So I pressed on.. The outside air temp was a little hotter than I wanted so I hot smoked them to 160. They smell great so off to the cooler they went and this is a pic before vac ing. I'll run them across the slicer as needed.
"Edit to correct final IT. It was pushing for 130 and yanked it at 129 after I felt like it was taking to long.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbern
Thanks!
I've done a metric ton of buckboard but this is my first batch that threw me for a loop. Even the experience have to learn from mistakes..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky