What drill to use on uds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loz

Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Hi, I’m building my first ever UDS and want to make a 35mm hole. What drills do people recommend as all the hand drills seem to only go 13mm on steel?
Thanks

Welcome to SMF!

You need to use a hole saw for that big of a hole - search for 35mm hole saw on google or amazon and find one that's made for steel.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks. Sorry if I’m being stupid here but will a hole saw of 35mm work in a hand drill that only has 13mm capacity for steel?
Do I need a certain type of drill to power the 35mm hole saw?

1624135825561.png

Here's a photo of one .. the shank will fit in your drill and give you the size of hole that you need.

Reactions: kruizer
Thanks. The guy at the shop said hand drills will only do 13mm wide holes due to the torque in them.
This is great to know, thanks

The shank on these types of bits are usually around 1/4 inch or 6.35mm so it'll fit in the hand drill

The shank on these types of bits are usually around 1/4 inch or 6.35mm so it'll fit in the hand drill
Thanks. I think the man said because of the torque of hand drills they will only drill 13mm wide into steel.

Ok.. someone else wanna jump in here? I'm not sure how else to explain this ...

Most hand drills are 3/8" or 1/2" size chuck. Either will easily drill a 3" hole as kilo showed if you need to go that big which I doubt you will. Just drill slowly with very light pressure.

Reactions: kilo charlie
The guy at the shop said hand drills will only do 13mm wide holes due to the torque in them.
Not sure where he came up with that .
13mm is about a 1/2 " 35mm should be around 1 1/8 " . All common for a hand drill . I've used a 5" hole saw on 16 ga. metal . No problem .
Assuming you are drilling a metal drum , get yourself a step bit and drill accordingly .

This should get you in the ball park . Says for wood , but it will drill a metal drum . Just start a pilot hole .

Just for the sake of saying it , Never really seen a step drill used with wood .

Last edited:
Hi all, first of all this is really helpful.
The hand drills all say something like this:
  • Drilling diameter in steel: 10 mm
  • Drilling diameter in wood: 30 mm
  • Drilling diameter in masonry: 10 mm

• example of one is here

Just to say this is all sorted now. Thanks for your help, I took this thread to a diy store and they agreed with you all and got me the items.
I think the other two stores saw an amateur and tried to make me spend big.

Thanks again, really helpful

L loz before you drill , maybe answer the question below . I don't use a UDS , but if Dave asked it's probably worth answering .
Why and where are you drilling a 35mm hole ???

I took this thread to a diy store and they agreed with you all and got me the items.
If they set you up with a step bit , drill small first . One down from what you think you need . Can always go bigger .

Reactions: Winterrider
L loz before you drill , maybe answer the question below . I don't use a UDS , but if Dave asked it's probably worth answering .

If they set you up with a step bit , drill small first . One down from what you think you need . Can always go bigger .

it’s for the air intakes. I’ve got 35mm wide copper tube that will be going down both sides and into the bottom of the drum, under the coal basket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky