What do you think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wildeye

Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
While looking around a used furniture store the other day I came across an old food warmer box.  It dimensions are 6ft x 2ft x 2 1/2 ft. it is stainless steel however the doors and walls are insulated and has some sort of sealant strip on the doors.  The racks inside are aluminum the top is open and would have to be closed in.  It has two vents on the doors on the front side that can be manually openned or closed.  When originally used the temp inside would maintain 200 degress.  I wondering should I try to strip out the insulation before trying to go any further. What do you think?  If I used an electric heating element and control would the element be too small for such a big box. All ideas are welcome.
9ad62b15_Smoker2.jpg

Unless the insulation is exposed inside the box, I would say to keep it in place.

The MES is insulated, and that helps it maintain good even temperatures.

Looks like a great project to me. As Dale said the insulation would probably be fine since it was made to get warm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky