What Do You Pay For Back Fat Where You Live?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Its been a long time since I bought back fat as the last time I bought over ten pounds. Getting low I decided to source it out again. Local meat processing place was good for getting as much as you wanted on Fridays as that was the day they did the pigs but seems a hit or miss now. Went to a local butcher and got just over 3 pounds for $5.09. This will do for my upcoming projects. They even told me to phone ahead as it is hard to come by sometimes.

Attachments

• Image_1681148025181.jpg
    Image_1681148025181.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: JLeonard
Get mine for free as well. Call ahead of time so they have some on hand... somewhat local locker, about 30 miles away.

Ryan

Safeway near me occasionally has it packaged in the meat section. Usually goes for around $1 lb.

Seems to be what I paid for it today. From talking to some in the know people it seems it can be hard to get sometimes. I guess with everyone staying home and doing the garden and meat processing thing during covid supply and demand took over. LOL Who knew :)

I can get pasture raised Berkshire back fat for $0.99/#. My Uncle in south Mississippi has a butcher shop close by where he can get commodity pork fat for $0.10/# but he has to buy what they have available daily until he has enough.

Availability will always vary depending on location.
I'm in Florida (for the winter) and don't have any equipment (grinder or stuffer) with me.
I make ultra low salt recipes for my wife and now me as well since getting higher blood pressure.
Local store has fantastic ground pork, but is also leaner than the 25% fat on the label.
I asked to purchase additional ground fat and the very helpful clerk said they trashed unused fat.
He checked and they could not sell it to me.
Back in Minnesota, I get beef fat or pork fat for around $1 per pound. Still a stupid price for something they normally send to the trash if not used in house.

Availability will always vary depending on location.
I'm in Florida (for the winter) and don't have any equipment (grinder or stuffer) with me.
I make ultra low salt recipes for my wife and now me as well since getting higher blood pressure.
Local store has fantastic ground pork, but is also leaner than the 25% fat on the label.
I asked to purchase additional ground fat and the very helpful clerk said they trashed unused fat.
He checked and they could not sell it to me.
Back in Minnesota, I get beef fat or pork fat for around $1 per pound. Still a stupid price for something they normally send to the trash if not used in house.
The butcher departments in my local stores tell me they are only allowed to sell beef fat, well aside from one, but they only have pork back fat available on days they're cutting pork in the back. They don't put it in the meat case, so you have to know which day they are butchering pork and ring the bell to get one of the butchers to come out of the back. There isn't any set day that they butcher pork, so you just have to get lucky and hit the right day. The store is way out of my way of normal travel, so randomly stopping in to ask if they're cutting pork is pretty inconvenient.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky