What can I use to clean the inside of my grill/smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aramirez626

Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Hello all, I recently purchased a Weber Summit and ready to use it this weekend. I was wondering if I could use oven cleaner to clean the inside after use, or if there is any better product or method to clean the inside. Something ”natural or green” would be preferred to avoid chemical residues left behind after cleaning. Thanks all!

Cleanig options:

1 Dont do anything. Be proud of your natural home made non-stick finish.
0 carbon and 0 calories are burned when you do this!

2 If it gets bad in there, burn it really hot, then scrub with a wire brush.

3 Pressure washer. Be sure to wear your sunday best when you do this!

4 Degreasers will work on the grates, but it's just not necessary. If you use degreasers, rinse well and let it burn before cooking again. There wont be any chemical residue.

Last edited:
Clean the grills , wipe any grease,clean the traps,leave the smokey goodness. Never any chemicals, they won't ever leave.

All my opinion
Corey

Personally, I don't clean my grills except for the grates and/or scrapping out any chunkies of burnt on "stuff".
The seasoning patina is preferable IMHO.

If you're going to use a degreaser, use something like Simple Green and do a couple of thorough rinses afterward.
Be sure to wrap the burner tubes and the infrared burner really good with aluminum foil.
After the inside is dry, remove all foil from all burners, fire up all the burners and let it burn for hour.
If you get the infrared burner wet, wait a day or two for it to dry completely or else the ceramic will crack.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have stated in my post that the unit I got is the charcoal/Kamado unit.

Based on the majority of the responses here, I think I will clean The grates, ant not use any chemicals for the rest of the inside.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I should have stated in my post that the unit I got is the charcoal/Kamado unit.
I thought the Kamado , because you were asking about cleaning . Made me think smoking wood at lower temps , but wasn't sure .
Nice rig bud . How 'bout some pics ?
I would think a good hot burn would be all you need , as said above .

I wouldn't spray anything in there myself .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky