What are your experiences with different types drywall mud mixers for mixing meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TyYoda

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
This question is for those who already mix meat with a hand drill and drywall/grout type of mixer.

There appears to be three or four types of mixers available. I’ve attached picture of the 4 styles.

1) standard drywall paddle
2) spiral ribbon
3) grout style mixer
4) a new style

I’m curious of your feedback on the 4 options. If I’m missing a style, please go ahead and provide your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2375.png
    IMG_2375.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2377.png
    IMG_2377.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 99
I use #3 and have been happy with the results. Food grade 5 gallon bucket and a sturdy plug in drill with side handle.

Hoping tallbm tallbm sees this....he uses one...
I use #1 style but the #4 looks really cool and possibly the easiest to clean of them all. Just guessing though.

Also make sure the materials they are made of won't be an issue with food contact :D

Reactions: TyYoda
When they sand it and you breath the dust , it does the same in people .

I'm on the top of the toilet
Looking down on my lack of creation
and the only explanation is constipation

It's the drywall dust I've found
That really made me bound
and put me on top of the toilet

Chris

Think of the Carpenters song Top of the world

This mixer head also looks interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_2380.png
    IMG_2380.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 87
Not getting a lot of replies so I decided to run an experiment. Picked up three types of mixers today to test in the next 2- 4 weeks. Will run some 10# batches and see which paddle I think works the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 56
Not getting a lot of replies so I decided to run an experiment. Picked up three types of mixers today to test in the next 2- 4 weeks. Will run some 10# batches and see which paddle I think works the best.
Oooooh I love experiments! Looking forward to seeing what you find :D

Reactions: HalfSmoked
And the Winner is the Spiral mixer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-30-...xing-Paddle-for-Corded-Drills-61230/311174620

Much easier to control, able to use a lower amp rated 1/2" drill and it did a great job of mixing the meat. Here is the link to a video:

Meat load was 12.5 lbs. Not the best video, since I was running the drill with one hand and the phone in the other. I was done mixing at this point and had all the water, cure, milk powder, and protein extraction I needed. It does give you the sense that I was able to mix the meat one handed which I was not able to do with the standard flat mixing paddle. I did not test the round bar "egg beater" concrete mixing paddle. The spiral paddle worked so well - I don't see the round egg beater style bar type working any better.

Note: Pulsing and occasionally lifting the mixing head and running a higher rpm to fling off the meat, helped ensure a good mix.

Pros:
-easy to control
-works well in a bucket or pot - doesn't create a lot of torque - easy to control pot with my feet and easy on the drill
-was easy to clean
-doesn't take a 9-10 high amp drill to operate. The 1/2" drill used during testing is only rated at 4.5 amps. It never ran hot or was overloaded during any of the testing. You do need a drill that is variable speed and that run at lower rpms. So drills that are rated for 0-500 or 0-600 will likely work better. My cordless drill didn't work well with the standard flat style mixing paddle - Wanted to run a higher rpms.
-having a circular design, means it works best in a vessel that his circular, like a bucket or pot. Next time, I will try using a 15 gallon stainless pot versus the aluminum turkey pot. My thought is the stainless is harder than the aluminum and will withstand the wear and tear of the mixing process. I feel I could easily put a 20 or 25 pound meat batch in the 15 gallon pot and the spiral mixer head would work fine.

Cons:
-did want to run around the perimeter of the turkey pot if using one hand. I would just stop or lift and move the drill to the center to continue mixing.

Conclusions:
-any one of the three paddles work. I like the Spiral version the best. For $18 plus the cost of a drill, and easy to clean. It is a no brainer to use this method versus buying a standard meat mixer in my opinion
-the spiral mixer design takes less torque (amps) to run and thus is the easiest to control, or in other words, the most efficient
-it helps if you have a 120V electric drill that is designed to run at lower rpms. My friend's Black and Decker variable speed 1/2" drill is only rated at 4.5 amps and it worked great and never ran hot.

Attachments

• TheWinner-Spiral.jpeg
    TheWinner-Spiral.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pot1.jpeg
    pot1.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Cooler1.jpg
    Cooler1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Cooler2.jpeg
    Cooler2.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 24
  • paddles.jpeg
    paddles.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 31
Pro tip: if you don’t clean the mixer first, the caked-on drywall mud makes an excellent binder for sausage.

I kid, I kid…
I'm not seeing a problem. We could all use a little extra calcium in our bods.
Especially us older guys....

I'm glad this subject is being discussed. I've been eyeballing meat mixers since mixing is getting more difficult for me.
I just may have a go at using one.

And the Winner is the Spiral mixer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-30-...xing-Paddle-for-Corded-Drills-61230/311174620

Much easier to control, able to use a lower amp rated 1/2" drill and it did a great job of mixing the meat. Here is the link to a video:

Meat load was 12.5 lbs. Not the best video, since I was running the drill with one hand and the phone in the other. I was done mixing at this point and had all the water, cure, milk powder, and protein extraction I needed. It does give you the sense that I was able to mix the meat one handed which I was not able to do with the standard flat mixing paddle. I did not test the round bar "egg beater" concrete mixing paddle. The spiral paddle worked so well - I don't see the round egg beater style bar type working any better.

Note: Pulsing and occasionally lifting the mixing head and running a higher rpm to fling off the meat, helped ensure a good mix.

Pros:
-easy to control
-works well in a bucket or pot - doesn't create a lot of torque - easy to control pot with my feet and easy on the drill
-was easy to clean
-doesn't take a 9-10 high amp drill to operate. The 1/2" drill used during testing is only rated at 4.5 amps. It never ran hot or was overloaded during any of the testing. You do need a drill that is variable speed and that run at lower rpms. So drills that are rated for 0-500 or 0-600 will likely work better. My cordless drill didn't work well with the standard flat style mixing paddle - Wanted to run a higher rpms.
-having a circular design, means it works best in a vessel that his circular, like a bucket or pot. Next time, I will try using a 15 gallon stainless pot versus the aluminum turkey pot. My thought is the stainless is harder than the aluminum and will withstand the wear and tear of the mixing process. I feel I could easily put a 20 or 25 pound meat batch in the 15 gallon pot and the spiral mixer head would work fine.

Cons:
-did want to run around the perimeter of the turkey pot if using one hand. I would just stop or lift and move the drill to the center to continue mixing.

Conclusions:
-any one of the three paddles work. I like the Spiral version the best. For $18 plus the cost of a drill, and easy to clean. It is a no brainer to use this method versus buying a standard meat mixer in my opinion
-the spiral mixer design takes less torque (amps) to run and thus is the easiest to control, or in other words, the most efficient
-it helps if you have a 120V electric drill that is designed to run at lower rpms. My friend's Black and Decker variable speed 1/2" drill is only rated at 4.5 amps and it worked great and never ran hot.

Excellent write up and video!

I agree this method is fantastic vs when I had a box/crank mixer.

Also great info on being able to control the pot with your feet. One of the unforeseen issues with the drill and paddle mixing approach is keeping the pot/cooler from twisting on you and having having the handles slap you in the leg or something like that lol.
Seems with the round spiral mixer it moves so well with the meat and such that holding the pot/cooler from spinning is a much simpler task.

Can't wait to see the finished results of all that sausage! :D

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky