Wet Aged Beef Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
A few questions, as usual...

Purchase:
1) Purchased 2 Prime Packer Briskets from Costco today at $2.99 # which I feel is pretty good. After some reading, I planned to "wet age" (aka leave in package in coldest fridge) for roughly 30-45 days. A) One to smoke that will fit my Bradley was about 12#. B) One to grind for burger (14#)- cheaper and better than whatever at grocery store.
2) Purchased some Choice Plate Short Ribs- 6# no great price but dang these are good!

Questions:
1) Looks pretty simple on one to smoke, keep eye on temps, bubble in cryovac and smell- any other concerns?
2) A)Any harm or benefit in aging one brisket to grind? Have plenty of fridge space and no hurry
B) Assume best mix to grind it all?

3) Any benefit/harm of aging the short ribs?

All are cryovaced

Thanks in advance for any suggestions advice,etc.

Jarod

Last edited:
It is important to know the pack (kill) date of your briskets to wet age them safely. This date is found on the case the briskets were packed in.
I routinely wet aged them for 30 days pass the kill date prior to cooking.
I have purchased briskets by the case that were just a few days past the kill date and I have purchased briskets that were 30 days past the kill date when I bought them.
This is why it’s important to know the kill date.
When I purchased individual briskets without knowing the kill date I usually aged them 2 weeks past the sell by date.
Like you said they need to be held in a cold fridge. Around 34* is ideal I believe. Try not to open the door anymore than necessary. Flip the briskets every 2 or 3 days.
I don’t see anything wrong with wet aging a brisket that will be ground.

Johnny Ray

Why not dry age?
Umia-dry makes a great product specifically for this process.
I guess I do not know much about the dry age at this point. I currently have a fridge. Not sure about tall the humidity, air movement, etc. I will have to check that out though.

Not sure if dry aged would be worth it for burger. Also had wondered with the beef ribs if any benefit.

Honestly, I have never had dry aged anything.

Start here with this link to umaidry steak bags. This is all done in the refrigerator. Nothing fancy.
https://umaidry.com/pages/learn-how-to-dry-age-steak
Or The Sausage Maker, sells dry age sheets that can be applied to any cut as well.
Don’t try to dry age ground meat. Totally a different animal and process. Rather dry age a solid muscle then grind it.

Reactions: jmusser
Start here with this link to umaidry steak bags. This is all done in the refrigerator. Nothing fancy.
https://umaidry.com/pages/learn-how-to-dry-age-steak
Or The Sausage Maker, sells dry age sheets that can be applied to any cut as well.
Don’t try to dry age ground meat. Totally a different animal and process. Rather dry age a solid muscle then grind it.
Thanks Smokin, I have a prime brisket that I will grind, haven't yet. Looked up the bags and it was mixed reviews based in how well people used them. Seems about right, lol. Oh boy you are sending me into a whole new venture. Appreciate the support and mostly likely a new obsession. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky