We're getting a locally raised and slaughtered turkey for the first time this year....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dgross

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
The boonies of NC
Hi everyone :)! We are lucky enough to be able to get a locally raised turkey this year and I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for brines? This is the first year that we have been lucky enough to get a really FRESH and organic local turkey and if anyone has suggestions we would love to hear them :). We hope you all and your families have a blessed Thanksgiving season, Daun

Daun, a typical brine is 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of salt (kosher or sea), 1 cup of sugar and any other spices you want to add for flavor.  If your watching your sodium level you can reduce the salt by half and still have great results.

I smoke my birds around 325° and they are easily done within 4 hours.  Birds larger that 12 lbs are best spatchcocked (split up the backbone and layed flat) or just cut in half.

Wood of choice for me is a mix of apple, cherry and hickory (less hickory than cherry and apple).

Hi there Dutch :)! Long time since I've been on and I'm so pleased to see you still so involved and devoted to SMF :)! Thank you so much for reminding me of the basics, I guess I've just let technology take over for my recipe files-LOL!

Frank and I hope you and your family are doing well. We need to break out our Dutch Ovens and get busy but it's just been too warm in NC to warrent it ;).

Thank you again for your help :)! Daun

Thanks for the ideas :)! I'll be researching for the Big Day and all suggestions are so welcome :). Wishing you and yours a great Turkey Day! Daun

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky