Well, pulled the trigger on the Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just got my Smokepro XT up and running this morning (received it via Fed-Ex on Tuesday but wasn't able to assemble until last night). Getting ready to hot smoke some salmon for dinner and can already tell 1) that the smoke flavor will be dramatically different than the charcoal flavor I'm accustomed to (as everyone said it would be), and 2) the convenience of it will make me not care that much about the reduced smoke flavor. I mean, flip a switch, turn a knob. It feels like cheating and I'm okay with that.

Congrats on the new Pellet Pooper. If it's anything like the woodwind, you're going to love it.

Congrats on the new Pellet Pooper. If it's anything like the woodwind, you're going to love it.
Supposedly according to the camp chef website it's essentially the same grill less and except no pellet dump (but at only $399).

Had some major temp swings towards the end of my cook today. (Set 225 actual 180, raised temp to 275 actual over 400). I hope it's because I let the auger run out a couple times then tossed a handful of pellets straight into it trying just to finish up my cook. My reasoning is it may have thrown off the PID controller. The temp seemed very consistent during initial burn in.

Supposedly according to the camp chef website it's essentially the same grill less and except no pellet dump (but at only $399).

Had some major temp swings towards the end of my cook today. (Set 225 actual 180, raised temp to 275 actual over 400). I hope it's because I let the auger run out a couple times then tossed a handful of pellets straight into it trying just to finish up my cook. My reasoning is it may have thrown off the PID controller. The temp seemed very consistent during initial burn in.

Howdy BK, I have about six Smokes on the WoodWind now, and depending on how cold and windy it is, I get about a 15* temp swing.
I don't think it a good idea to throw pellets directly into the pot if you run out of pellets, use the Feed setting. This is done by turning the dial to FEED and holding the BYPASS button for 3 seconds. The auger will stay on no longer than 7 minutes which is plenty of time to fill up the tube. Open the ash cleanout knob and when you hear pellets drop into the bucket, close it and use the startup procedure. Avoid the problem by keeping the hopper full. If you're worried about leaving the pellets in there, get yourself a Bucket Head https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218 and a Bucket https://www.homedepot.com/p/United-Solutions-5-gal-Homer-Bucket-PN0110/300247902. Get a lid to store your pellets in and you are good to go. :)

Here is my setup for storage. 20180311_072601 (1).jpg

Hope this helps and have fun,
PaPaGrizz

Figure 1 to 1 1/2 lbs pellets per hour depending on your cook temp and check the hopper accordingly. A higher temp eats more pellets.

I agree, when you accidentally let the hopper run out it's best to follow the start up procedure again. I used to worry about leaving pellets in mine but now I just scoop out whats in the hopper and leave the auger full.

Figure 1 to 1 1/2 lbs pellets per hour depending on your cook temp and check the hopper accordingly. A higher temp eats more pellets.
Sarge, your rate is about right from my smoke two days ago. I did a 16 hour smoke and ran out of pellets at 101 meat temperature while heading for 203 on a Picnic Roast. My recovery was to do the feed bypass to reload pellets, and back to set temperature which cost about 30 minutes to get things turned around and meat temp back to 101. My heart hit bottom when I looked in and saw a bare auger. Oops! I went through a 20 lb bag of Camp Chef Apple in about 15 hours in 35 degree ambient temps with the existing gaps around the lid. Looking to pull the trigger on adding the FireBlack to the lid and adding a blanket for cold weather smokes to cut down on consumption of pellets a little.

Howdy BK, I have about six Smokes on the WoodWind now, and depending on how cold and windy it is, I get about a 15* temp swing.
I don't think it a good idea to throw pellets directly into the pot if you run out of pellets, use the Feed setting. This is done by turning the dial to FEED and holding the BYPASS button for 3 seconds. The auger will stay on no longer than 7 minutes which is plenty of time to fill up the tube. Open the ash cleanout knob and when you hear pellets drop into the bucket, close it and use the startup procedure. Avoid the problem by keeping the hopper full. If you're worried about leaving the pellets in there, get yourself a Bucket Head https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218 and a Bucket https://www.homedepot.com/p/United-Solutions-5-gal-Homer-Bucket-PN0110/300247902. Get a lid to store your pellets in and you are good to go. :)

Here is my setup for storage.View attachment 356933

Hope this helps and have fun,
PaPaGrizz
Thanks. I think I will get one if those. I re-read the instructions and tried it again today on a pizza with a full hopper and a well fed auger. Much more consistent temps.

toast.jpg
Sarge, your rate is about right from my smoke two days ago. I did a
16 hour smoke and ran out of pellets at 101 meat temperature while heading for 203 on a Picnic Roast. My recovery was to do the feed bypass to reload pellets, and back to set temperature which cost about 30 minutes to get things turned around and meat temp back to 101. My heart hit bottom when I looked in and saw a bare auger. Oops! I went through a 20 lb bag of Camp Chef Apple in about 15 hours in 35 degree ambient temps with the existing gaps around the lid. Looking to pull the trigger on adding the FireBlack to the lid and adding a blanket for cold weather smokes to cut down on consumption of pellets a little.

IBVAS,
Howdy Brother, I am into a 13-hour smoke ( 8 pound Boston Butt) as I write (1730 CST). I filled the hopper to the top and have been watching it. After 13 hours I would say it's a little more than half full. I have more on standby just in case.;)

I am also looking at the FireBlack to help. My gap is about a 1/4" around the lid and the FireBlack is 1/8 thick, so I am thinking there will still be the airflow that CampChief designed into their "air flow concept".

When I started this morning, ambient temp was about 25*. It above freezing now and time to sprits the meat and have a Beer.

Let us know if you get the gasket and how it worked for you.
Thanks,
PaPaGrizz

What do people mean when they talk about airflow around the lid? Flow which way? In my Woodwind the fan blows in fresh air constantly from beneath the hopper such that hot air is vented out from the chimney, grease trap and around the door. If you seal the door up wouldn’t the same amount of air being introduced have to force out the same amount, and it would vent out the chimney (and grease trap) if you sealed up the door better? Either way the smoke is gonna get forced out by the incoming air so I wouldn’t see you doing anything helpful by sealing up that door. You aren’t gonna save any smoke.

What do people mean when they talk about airflow around the lid? Flow which way? In my Woodwind the fan blows in fresh air constantly from beneath the hopper such that hot air is vented out from the chimney, grease trap and around the door. If you seal the door up wouldn’t the same amount of air being introduced have to force out the same amount, and it would vent out the chimney (and grease trap) if you sealed up the door better? Either way the smoke is gonna get forced out by the incoming air so I wouldn’t see you doing anything helpful by sealing up that door. You aren’t gonna save any smoke.

I was told by CampChief that the gaps in the lid help to circulate the smoke in the chamber for maximum coverage for the food being smoked.

With that being said I have built a stick burner and a UDS and sealed the lids as tight as I could. With adequate airflow coming into the pit to feed the fuel. More smoke stayed in the chamber and would exhaust out the stack.
So I am not sure if CampChief is saying the gaps in the lid are there by design, or they are just blowing Smoke up my backside...
So far so good with the way it is. Just got finished with a Boston Butt after a 15-hour cook, set on high smoke the entire time and only used 3/4 of the 18# hopper. Best and easiest way to smoke pulled pork I ever did.
PaPaGrizz

Used the Smokepro XT on lunch and dinner today. First an attempt at a pizza with a stone which didn't turn out well at all (dough didn't rise) but I think it was more the stone and/or the dough's fault, then some chicken tenders which turned out great. No smoke flavor to speak of on either as both were cooked at 400 (or more). But temps were pretty consistent.

I'm sort of amazed how much the smoke output varies. I'd read that it would be that way, but to actually see it is pretty jarring when coming from charcoal. Also I've got to buy some higher quality pellets next time. Currently using Pit Boss brand mesquite and they smell terrible compared to what I was accustomed to with KBB and mesquite wood chunks.

Yeah, I'm new to pellets too and trying to adjust to the new smell and taste. It smells like smoldering sawdust, which I guess it is. I'm burning camp Chef and Pit Boss and they smell the same to me. Frankly I am not convinced they are not the same. I've looked closely and the Competition blend for both look identical.

Used the Smokepro XT on lunch and dinner today. First an attempt at a pizza with a stone which didn't turn out well at all (dough didn't rise) but I think it was more the stone and/or the dough's fault, then some chicken tenders which turned out great. No smoke flavor to speak of on either as both were cooked at 400 (or more). But temps were pretty consistent.

I'm sort of amazed how much the smoke output varies. I'd read that it would be that way, but to actually see it is pretty jarring when coming from charcoal. Also I've got to buy some higher quality pellets next time. Currently using Pit Boss brand mesquite and they smell terrible compared to what I was accustomed to with KBB and mesquite wood chunks.

Howdy BK,
If I need more smoke at a higher setting other than "Low Smoke" or "High Smoke" I use one of these:​
As far as pellets go, I am using lumberjack I can get from my local Rural King for 8.99 per 20 LB bag. They have 100% Oak and Hickory and several other "Blends" apple, cherry, pecan, mesquite, hickory, and charcoal mix, (haven't tried that one yet), and my favorite Competition Blend. Here the Link to read up on them http://bbqlumberjack.com/

I also use a Pizza Stone for my Pellet Pooper, for me, the trick is to make sure you heat the stone before you put the pie on. I use a cheap Ryobi infrared thermometer to check the stone before starting to cook. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Infrared-Thermometer-IR002/205509667
The cool thing about smoking is, we usually can eat our mistakes.
animated-smileys-eating-drinking-126 (1).gif

Yeah, I'm new to pellets too and trying to adjust to the new smell and taste. It smells like smoldering sawdust, which I guess it is. I'm burning camp Chef and Pit Boss and they smell the same to me. Frankly I am not convinced they are not the same. I've looked closely and the Competition blend for both look identical.

Hey Brother, Here is what I use http://bbqlumberjack.com/

As far as pellets go, I am using lumberjack I can get from my local Rural King for 8.99 per 20 LB bag. They have 100% Oak and Hickory and several other "Blends" apple, cherry, pecan, mesquite, hickory, and charcoal mix, (haven't tried that one yet), and my favorite Competition Blend. Here the Link to read up on them http://bbqlumberjack.com/

I also use a Pizza Stone for my Pellet Pooper, for me, the trick is to make sure you heat the stone before you put the pie on. I use a cheap Ryobi infrared thermometer to check the stone before starting to cook. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Infrared-Thermometer-IR002/205509667
The cool thing about smoking is, we usually can eat our mistakes.View attachment 357085

God I wish I had a rural king local. I agree with the stone as well, and I worked in pizza shops for several years. Unfortunately if you hand toss or stretch your dough it's darn near impossible to get it on a hot stone without messing it up, but it's already risen anyway.

Howdy BK,
If I need more smoke at a higher setting other than "Low Smoke" or "High Smoke" I use one of these:​

The cool thing about smoking is, we usually can eat our mistakes.View attachment 357085

Does the pellet tube just sit right on the grate and start to smolder after a while?

Also, has anybody tried cooking pizza right on the grate or are you better off with a stone?

Unfortunately if you hand toss or stretch your dough it's darn near impossible to get it on a hot stone without messing it up, but it's already risen anyway.

It just takes a little practice. Best thing is to open a dough and practice on a cold stone so you can improve launching skills. I cook 18 inch pies on a 19 inch stone all the time.

God I wish I had a rural king local. I agree with the stone as well, and I worked in pizza shops for several years. Unfortunately if you hand toss or stretch your dough it's darn near impossible to get it on a hot stone without messing it up, but it's already risen anyway.

I have a large wooden Pizza Peel. When I'm ready for my final forming of the dough, I put a bit of cornmeal on the peel and then stretch it to the shape I want, put my toppings on out to the smoker it goes and slides on the stone like it has ball bearings under the stone.

Last edited:
Does the pellet tube just sit right on the grate and start to smolder after a while?

Also, has anybody tried cooking pizza right on the grate or are you better off with a stone?

Howdy,
I fill the tube and use a propane torch to light the open end, let it burn for a minute or two blow the flame out and place it in the smoke on the far left side so the air from the fan will keep it going. It puts out a great TBS for about 2 hours.

Hope I explained it correctly,
PaPaGrizz
Oh ya, I forgot to answer your second question (senior moment).
I have a more consistent crust with the stone.

I have a large wooden Pizza Peel. When I'm ready for my final forming of the dough, I put a bit of cornmeal on the peel and then stretch it to the shape I want, put my toppings on out to the smoker it goes and slides on the stone like it has ball bearings under the stone.

I use flour instead of meal but my stone is only 14 inches. I'd rather have an 18 or 20 inch as its been a long time since I loaded a pie from a peel and that was in ovens that had a stone fit to cover the entire bottom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky