Weber 22" Gold with 14" Smokey Joe offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shakesignal

Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hey all, it's been a while, but I have a quick project in mind and wanted to get some feedback from smarter and more knowledgeable folks! Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Basically, my idea is to make an offset cold smoker, or maybe hot, too. The idea would be that I take the ash catcher out, tape some insulated 6" ducting to the bottom, ideally creating a seal lol. Then I'd simply tape the other end to the top vent of the Smokey Joe. The first trial I would use a 6" A-maze-n tube, but maybe later I'd try hot smoking with a Weber charcoal basket. I just have regular plastic and metal insulated HVAC ducting right now, I would obviously switch to aluminum for a more permanent (and safe) setup.

Any thoughts, criticisms, feedback? I do not know if the physics of this will bear out. Basically, if this works well and doesn't creosote my stuff up, I'll be happy.

Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Hey all, it's been a while, but I have a quick project in mind and wanted to get some feedback from smarter and more knowledgeable folks! Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Basically, my idea is to make an offset cold smoker, or maybe hot, too. The idea would be that I take the ash catcher out, tape some insulated 6" ducting to the bottom, ideally creating a seal lol. Then I'd simply tape the other end to the top vent of the Smokey Joe. The first trial I would use a 6" A-maze-n tube, but maybe later I'd try hot smoking with a Weber charcoal basket. I just have regular plastic and metal insulated HVAC ducting right now, I would obviously switch to aluminum for a more permanent (and safe) setup.

Any thoughts, criticisms, feedback? I do not know if the physics of this will bear out. Basically, if this works well and doesn't creosote my stuff up, I'll be happy.

Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Personally if it were me. I wouldn't do it. You can easily cold or hot smoke in a regular 22" kettle. You just need to learn how to set-up you charcoal or tube. Butts, ribs, and brisket can all be done in a 22" as can fish or cheese for cold smoking.

Chris

Chris

There are plenty of ideas out there to use one smoker as your smoke generator, and some other chamber for cold smoking, connecting them together with flexible tubing. That is how most cold smokehouses work. Here are a couple of examples for you to ponder.
XFNvrYu.jpg
pdz6sml.jpg
j2ndbZ9.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky