water pans...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnlsr

Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Central FLA
Just want to get some input from this eclectic gathering of smokers... Waterpans...What kind of meats do you smoke?  or never use a pan with...   I have used for spurts, and not used them for long spurts... I have put my meat directly over it... and behind it with pan meeting hot air from firebox... opinions...reasoning... and good guesses listened too...while smoking a pair of chickens and watching the rain...

I read posts on here a few years ago, from more experienced smokers than me, that a water pan is nothing more than a heat sink and does nothing for adding moisture to the food. I then tried filling the water pan with sand, about an inch from the top and covered it with heavy foil, to act as a drip pan. I never noticed the the end product being any different, I don't have to add water and don't have to wash out the pan, just change the foil when I'm done cooking.

Reactions: gnlsr
I use a GOSM propane and I too have sand in the water pan. I use a disposable foil pan on top of the sand pan to catch drippings. I have gotten much better temp control with the sand and temps recover much faster too after opening the door. I know forluvofsmoke has been experimenting with wet and dry smoke chambers and from what I have read from him he thinks some humidity helps with smoke penetration and the dry chamber helps with a better bark and forming a dry skin faster locking in all the juices.

Reactions: gnlsr
that is an interesting observation... never thought of the pan w/ sand for dripping catcher...WILL use that idea...like you I am not convinced of the need for the pan... also have never been able to prove pro/con of it's use... I, for a time wanted to believe it had a place in my grill... however, I am in a fairly long 'tween use or non use of pan... been 5-6 years since I used it regularly...thanks for the input...

again... I am glad I joined... here I have heard a couple of good ideas that I will expound on during a lazy afternoon making sure the smoke is but a wisp and the meat is just laying around getting it's color... I am interested in the penetration / dry / wet chamber thought...I have a need for lightly smoked...wife is not a huge fan of heavly smoked meat... she likes a more delicate smoked flavor... the things we do for wives!!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky