Water inside fridge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Started about a month ago. A small amount of water pools at bottom but not everyday. Finally getting annoyed by it and want to fix. Classic freezer over fridge. Freezer is loaded but not so much in fridge. Any ideas? Blocked drain? I do not see any drainage holes on the inside. Thanks in advance.

Probably an ice blocked drain from the freezer, remove everything in the freezer and you should see ice on the bottom back corner. I have cleared with hot water.

Reactions: zwiller and TNJAKE
Probably an ice blocked drain from the freezer, remove everything in the freezer and you should see ice on the bottom back corner. I have cleared with hot water.
OK. That makes alot of sense. Thanks.

Time to take stock and get smoking!
Oh yeah, there's AT LEAST a brisket, couple of butts and loins in there. Maybe even a turkey. From memory, the freezer door got left open a tiny bit and had the problem since then so what you suggest makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed!

Oh yeah, there's AT LEAST a brisket, couple of butts and loins in there. Maybe even a turkey. From memory, the freezer door got left open a tiny bit and had the problem since then so what you suggest makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed!
yes that will introduce a lot of humidity inside

Reactions: zwiller
Probably blocked condensate drain as said above . Drains into a tray and a heating element evaps the water .
What make is it ?

Started about a month ago. A small amount of water pools at bottom but not everyday. Finally getting annoyed by it and want to fix. Classic freezer over fridge. Freezer is loaded but not so much in fridge. Any ideas? Blocked drain? I do not see any drainage holes on the inside. Thanks in advance.
Are the seals on the door good?

If you're packed full that may be causing the freeze up , or adding to it . Blocked air flow or to much frozen mass might effect the defrost cycle .
Shutting it down and letting it thaw is a good way to go , but not doable for most .
You'll need to access the evaporator to put eyeballs on the condensate drain tray . Check to see if the hole is froze over . Should be some drip tabs on the coil to filter the water to the tray during defrost . If these are encased in ice , they can cause water to go where it shouldn't . Even if the drain hole is open , that can cause water in the food compartment .

Air leaking in from a leaky door seal can also cause this. The water vapor condenses out inside the fridge. Actually this can also happen with the freezer compartment. My free meat fridge had a jacked up door hinge on the freezer that was not letting the door seal, which was causing ice to build up in the bottom of the freezer compartment. The people I got the fridge from replaced it rather than just fixing the door where it closed right.

We had this issue with a freezer on the bottom unit. the refer drain hose would freeze up and then when the refer had a defrost cycle the water would run out into the refer floor. super annoying. Hope you find an easy fix.

20211208_181557.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky