Water Bath

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowboycousie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Bison KS
I made some uncased sausage and the recipe told me to water bath for 10 mins or until the temp is at 100 deg

Couple questions

1.   What does the bath do?

2.   I noticed that the salt taste was less and the the spices were more tasty. Did the bath help with this?

3.   Do you do this bath with most or all cured and cooked sausages? Snack sticks?

Thanks  

The bath stops the cooking process so that the meat doesn't dry out. 

Nicely said Brian.  

I would also add that the ice/water bath helps in keeping the meat from shriveling, specifically when using a casing, but since you did uncased sausage, it wouldn't help with the casings in this case, but it will still help keep the meat from shriveling.

About #2, I really don't have any idea as to if this would be related or not.

About #3, yes, we recommend to all our customers that an ice/water bath be used for all smoked products.  Whether it be summer sausage, snack sticks, hot dogs, etc.  Anything of the like will benefit from an ice/water bath after cooking.

Happy Sausage Making!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky